On the pre-production status

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

Not sure how sharing mails here is allowed, as they state "it is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message" (Which I just basically did, well).

I've asked about the status of QWERTZ models, and their message was along the lines of:

They have not forgotten about my order, they are fulfilling the order backlog, experiencing some minor delays, they hope to fulfill the backlog in the next few weeks.

Same stuff, different day..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Kikka said:

So I guess it won't be for this month then... I don't mind to wait month and month, just annoyed to read every month "it will be shipped by the end of this month"... If they told me I'll have to wait until December, I would be fine, I would have find a something for the wait... Now I am just with no phone and still think "ho, don't be silly, don't buy a phone now, you gonna received yours by the end of the month, you can wait a few more weeks". So I start thinking about cancelling my order.

Having a backup phone is always a good idea.  Get a basic, inexpensive Android phone that can get you through and then become a backup.  I spent 7 months on a Moto G6 I picked up for $99 when my Nexus 6p died while waiting for my Pro 1.  Just a thought...

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Hook said:

I spent 7 months on a Moto G6 I picked up for $99 when my Nexus 6p died while waiting for my Pro 1.

I spent one and a half year on a Moto G6 when I gave up using my N900 before my Pro1 arrived in late December.

Pro1 was still an idea when I have bought the G6 but I heard some info about it so I have eagerly waited for a proper replacement of my N900...

G6 is currently a spare and tester phone for me.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 2
On 5/28/2020 at 4:03 PM, Hook said:

Having a backup phone is always a good idea.  Get a basic, inexpensive Android phone that can get you through and then become a backup.  I spent 7 months on a Moto G6 I picked up for $99 when my Nexus 6p died while waiting for my Pro 1.  Just a thought...

Indeed...

Me, I never wanted to use a no-keyboard smartphone, and I never did, until I bought the Moto Z in early 2018 which wasn't even supposed to be one, as the first few pre-production samples of the Moto Keyboard Mod to clip onto it were just being shipped to customers. It was unfortunate for all involved that those samples remained the only ones. The promise of a future phone from the same people, instead of just a keyboard attachment, was my only hope to get another keyboard phone again anytime soon. 

Some fifteen months later, about a year ago, I grudgingly bought my first smartphone that clearly was a no-keyboard smartphone and could never be modified to become something else, the Moto Z3 Play, after the Moto Z's second battery croaked, too, which being undersized was a design flaw with that first phone of the series.

I surely wasn't expecting to need the Z3 Play that long and I was hoping to be able to get a bit of money back by selling it when the Pro¹ would come, but now that I've managed to get two ugly scratches into the screen in the meantime, I guess I can forget about that, and a backup phone it will become. At least it is still fully functional and doesn't show any other signs of wear or deterioration yet, and I haven't lost my hopes that it will indeed just be a few more weeks before I can make it disappear in the drawer... 🙂 

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 3

I am still using N900, although its browser is slow, unusable and won't do tls 1.2, worn battery, no USB transfers any more and unreliable charging that can break completely any time. My humble wish is to have Pro1 before my N900 dies.

• Like 1
On 5/24/2020 at 7:27 PM, DieBruine said:

That was what, three weeks ago more or less? Personally I would have waited a little bit longer, at least July.
Factories take time to start-up. And don't think for a second that the small batches ordered by FxTec get on top of their to-do-list. 

Nonetheless, I sorta understand your decision. I'm waiting for a replacement screen and three phones. I will wait another two months. IF the phones are not delivered by the end of June I'm assuming it means bye bye € 2100,-... and only then will I order a replacement screen on Ali.
For now I keep my fingers crossed 🤞 and add a little prayer 🙏.

It's not really the start up time after Corona that's put me off.  Reading about all of the other little "niggles" (fingerprint reader location, taking so long to patch software issues that should never have made it out in to the field, pound sign not working - big one for me being in the UK!, the constant under-delivery of promises, the offset keyboard, people having to put bits of felt and the such like to quieten down the "clack" as theirs were missing from the factory) combined with everything else is what has made me pull the plug.  It's a real shame as it seems like it's so close to being a brilliant phone.

Don't get me wrong - the specs still look good compared to every other physical keyboard phone but I think I will end up going for a BlackBerry Key2 as I know the integration will work well.  I will miss the screen size of my Priv, and that of the Pro1, but I think the smoother user experience will be worth it.  I have looked at the UniHertz titan as well because I loved my Passport but there is too much work required to censor the pre-installed adware and bloat for my liking.

1 hour ago, stavers said:

going for a BlackBerry Key2 as I know the integration will work well.

F(x)tec is definitely making it hard to use them as a good alternative on this point, but aren't you very likely to suffer from a lack of updates for Blackberry software since the company has closed? At least with the Pro1, the community is able to pick up the slack. I don't think you'll have that option on a Blackberry device.

Edited by Raksura
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Raksura said:

F(x)tec is definitely making it hard to use them as a good alternative on this point, but aren't you very likely to suffer from a lack of updates for Blackberry software since the company has closed? At least with the Pro1, the community is able to pick up the slack. I don't think you'll have that option on a Blackberry device.

Well they got the Crackberry forum where they can share their frustration over things that does not work, and are highly unlikely to ever be fixed... 😇

(But in all fairness, also help each other with known workarounds, hints and the like)

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Raksura said:

Well I have been running a Priv since they first came out so not too worried about lack of software updates as long as the core phone works well to be honest.  I am more than happy with the software on the Priv - just don't like the overheating and the fact it gets a big laggy at times.  I don't allow untrusted sources and don't sideload anything or want to root the phone plus I'm happy with the BlackBerry launcher and keyboard so I'm not fussed about getting the latest OS.

You've just highlighted one of my key misgivings.  The community being able to pick up the slack - it shouldn't have to.  If people want to modify the phone beyond what it was originally designed for then I completely agree an active community is key BUT a product should not launch and then require the online community to fix basic problems that should never have been on the phone in the first place.  Having used the Priv for so long I am confident that the Key2 will work well right out of the box for everything I need which I can't guarantee this or the Titan would do.  I would end up getting frustrated and hating the phone so not wanting to take this risk.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:06 AM, __fastcall said:

Not sure how sharing mails here is allowed, as they state "it is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message" (Which I just basically did, well).

I've asked about the status of QWERTZ models, and their message was along the lines of:

They have not forgotten about my order, they are fulfilling the order backlog, experiencing some minor delays, they hope to fulfill the backlog in the next few weeks.

Same stuff, different day..

That's pretty much a canned response at this point.

4 hours ago, stavers said:

Well I have been running a Priv since they first came out so not too worried about lack of software updates as long as the core phone works well to be honest.  I am more than happy with the software on the Priv - just don't like the overheating and the fact it gets a big laggy at times.  I don't allow untrusted sources and don't sideload anything or want to root the phone plus I'm happy with the BlackBerry launcher and keyboard so I'm not fussed about getting the latest OS.

You've just highlighted one of my key misgivings.  The community being able to pick up the slack - it shouldn't have to.  If people want to modify the phone beyond what it was originally designed for then I completely agree an active community is key BUT a product should not launch and then require the online community to fix basic problems that should never have been on the phone in the first place.  Having used the Priv for so long I am confident that the Key2 will work well right out of the box for everything I need which I can't guarantee this or the Titan would do.  I would end up getting frustrated and hating the phone so not wanting to take this risk.

Funny you say that... because precisely their software is what's killing my Priv.

I was on the Hub+ Suite beta, around April they pushed some update and completely killed my email and calendar functionality, crashing the moment I opened anything. So pretty much the software was useless, hence I rolled back to their release channel version of the apps to restore it. Right after I did that, the weird random reboot issues I had all came back. Reported these to them, and BlackBerry's response? "We're shutting down the Beta Program Forums".

I'm seriously considering de-BlackBerrying my phone at this point. Already shut off some stuff like BBM and that useless DTEK dashboard.

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Raksura said:

I mentioned earlier that community support isn't exactly an option for some of us who use our devices as BYOD for work. There are device security checks where third party OSes where bootloader unlocking, rooting is not allowed.

On 5/30/2020 at 9:56 PM, ToniCipriani said:

I mentioned earlier that community support isn't exactly an option for some of us who use our devices as BYOD for work. There are device security checks where third party OSes where bootloader unlocking, rooting is not allowed.

But Android is? I have never heard from a company phone running Android since it was too easy for users to get viruses or break stuff by changing settings. As much as I hate Apple and as useless as Windows Mobile can be, I really understand why companies don't choose Android.

• Like 1
On 5/31/2020 at 4:53 PM, SchattengestaIt said:

But Android is? I have never heard from a company phone running Android since it was too easy for users to get viruses or break stuff by changing settings. As much as I hate Apple and as useless as Windows Mobile can be, I really understand why companies don't choose Android.

I've been using my Priv for 2 different companies for BYOD already. One with BlackBerry Work, another with straight up Exchange EWS.

• Like 2
On 5/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, ToniCipriani said:

Funny you say that... because precisely their software is what's killing my Priv.

I was on the Hub+ Suite beta, around April they pushed some update and completely killed my email and calendar functionality, crashing the moment I opened anything. So pretty much the software was useless, hence I rolled back to their release channel version of the apps to restore it. Right after I did that, the weird random reboot issues I had all came back. Reported these to them, and BlackBerry's response? "We're shutting down the Beta Program Forums".

I'm seriously considering de-BlackBerrying my phone at this point. Already shut off some stuff like BBM and that useless DTEK dashboard.

To be fair I have disabled Hub and everything BlackBerry related - just using the native Google apps and standard messenger.  I know it's not as streamlined as using Hub to collect everything in one place but I was finding it difficult to archive stuff properly in Hub so I just got rid of it.  BBM went almost straight away.

Just had the refund for the Pro1 though so now got to bite the bullet on something.  If it is the Key2 then I shall do the same as I did with the Priv and just run Google native apps without Hub.

...so back on topic, I just got a stock assignment email. But it says I'll get courier info by  "Monday, the 8th of May".

Checked my calendar, I'm assuming that's May 8th 2023 since that's the next May 8th with a Monday?

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Haha 2
On 6/2/2020 at 7:52 AM, stavers said:

To be fair I have disabled Hub and everything BlackBerry related - just using the native Google apps and standard messenger.  I know it's not as streamlined as using Hub to collect everything in one place but I was finding it difficult to archive stuff properly in Hub so I just got rid of it.  BBM went almost straight away.

Just had the refund for the Pro1 though so now got to bite the bullet on something.  If it is the Key2 then I shall do the same as I did with the Priv and just run Google native apps without Hub.

Coincidentally, BlackBerry decides to brick my Hub+ this morning by pushing that buggy Hub update to the Play Store as release, then I got my stock assignment from F(x)tec.

Had to spend my morning on APKMirror just to roll back my updates and get it working again.

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, ToniCipriani said:

...so back on topic, I just got a stock assignment email. But it says I'll get courier info by  "Monday, the 8th of May".

Checked my calendar, I'm assuming that's May 8th 2023 since that's the next May 8th with a Monday?

Likely.

I just spent an hour or two setting up my new Nokia 7.2, so I expect fxtec stock assignment any second now.

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, ToniCipriani said:

Yes, but 8th of June is definitively Monday, so I am optimistic. 🙂

It seems to be only a small "typo".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1