Pro1 Known Bugs [Updated 19 Nov 2019]

Not sure if reported yet, but I rented a '19 Chevy Malibu with Android Auto and everytime I plugged in my phone for the first time the GPS would freak out. It would report me going backwards, 100s of feet away from the target, and a bunch of wonkiness all over the place. It didn't matter if I used my phone to set the map and then plugged it in or did by the car's menu after plugged in. As soon as I unplugged and replugged it after android auto was already running it would start to work perfectly. Running stock and still locked bootloader.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As users will start receiving devices now, we want to give some update about the bugs and features we found / currently working. Shipping software version: QX1000_EEA_20191028191835 Known bu

In theory, after Jan 3rd update there should be no more issues with screen frozen and keyboard lost. We are working on the current issues and hopefully to deliver a build not too long after the C

I'm going to do a mini data dump of some issues I have noticed while bringing up LineageOS (a beta/test version is only a couple days away, I will post a thread here when it's ready)....   *

Posted Images

I'm having two different Bluetooth related issues. 

The first one is that I can rarely connect to my car via Bluetooth unless I toggle airplane mode off and on several times to reset the Bluetooth adapter. It gets stuck at "connecting" but never connects without manual intervention. It pairs without an issue, just never actually connects. It will show as an active media device in the phone settings but isn't fully connected. If I try to disconnect and manually reconnect it will hang at "connecting" and sometimes give me a "failed to communicate" error. 

My Bluetooth earbuds simply will not pair at all and get stuck at "pairing" when they connect to other devices I own without an issue. 

For comparison, my Gear S3 paired and works without a single issue on the first attempt. 

• Like 1

I'm also having bluetooth connectivty issues to a 2017 BMW iDrive hands free kit.  I was able to pair with the car and I am even able to make phone calls using the iDrive interface but the call never transfers to the car's audio system even if the phone says it is using the bluetooth connection.

Also previously on my Priv, I was able to press the speak button on the steering wheel and remotely listen to new text messages and reply via the iDrive interface even though I'm pretty sure it was using Google to do this.  I can't seem to do this on the Pro1.

3 hours ago, PC_ said:

I'm also having bluetooth connectivty issues to a 2017 BMW iDrive hands free kit.  I was able to pair with the car and I am even able to make phone calls using the iDrive interface but the call never transfers to the car's audio system even if the phone says it is using the bluetooth connection.

Also previously on my Priv, I was able to press the speak button on the steering wheel and remotely listen to new text messages and reply via the iDrive interface even though I'm pretty sure it was using Google to do this.  I can't seem to do this on the Pro1.

Actually now that you say that, my Mazda would connect for phone calls but the media indicator never came on. 

On 1/23/2020 at 11:06 PM, david said:

- Multiple people have reported that the phone doesn't come with a built-in Recovery

This was incorrect.  I posted that before receiving my phone.  I posted instructions on how to access the Pro1 recovery mode here:

• Like 2

Not sure if a bug or i have a defective unit, but it seems like my proximity sensor isn't working properly.  During calls the screen goes black and stays that way until i hit the power button a couple times.  Downloaded Androsensor, and it shows proximity at 0.0in at all times 😕

• Sad 2
On 2/11/2020 at 10:52 AM, Pr0udDragon said:

I'm having two different Bluetooth related issues. 

The first one is that I can rarely connect to my car via Bluetooth unless I toggle airplane mode off and on several times to reset the Bluetooth adapter. It gets stuck at "connecting" but never connects without manual intervention. It pairs without an issue, just never actually connects. It will show as an active media device in the phone settings but isn't fully connected. If I try to disconnect and manually reconnect it will hang at "connecting" and sometimes give me a "failed to communicate" error. 

My Bluetooth earbuds simply will not pair at all and get stuck at "pairing" when they connect to other devices I own without an issue. 

For comparison, my Gear S3 paired and works without a single issue on the first attempt. 

Literally my exact same experience, down to owning the same watch. Car sticks at "connecting", headphones don't pair at all (though did when I first unboxed the phone), and my Gear S3 works perfectly.

1 hour ago, ard.flash.ash said:

Anyone had issues with the device restarting several times a day?

I've had it on previous phones where for the 1st day or two it might do a restart due to apps open, but with only one app open this thing is restarting at least twice a day?

Last night the device restarted by itself was waiting for PIN. So I missed my morning alarm!!!
But this has happened for the first time since last 3 weeks...

I've read enough alarm related issues, I wouldn't use Pro¹ as an alarm clock if I had to get somewhere on time.

My circa-1980s alarm clock radio works just fine for this purpose, however.  And I get to listen to music or chat (or ads) while I force myself out of bed.

For that matter, my 1980s digital watch alarm never fails. Or wind-up bell-ringer alarm clocks from earlier than that, solid and reliable if you remember to wind them.  Modern stuff tries to do so much - that causes it problems - it becomes unreliable for basic tasks.  I don't blame F(x)tec for this.  I blame society.  Although if they can make the alarm reliable, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.  But I think that means making the whole phone stable.  That's a lot of stuff that has to fit together, hard to be perfect.

Edited by Craig
edit: ads!
2 hours ago, Craig said:

I've read enough alarm related issues, I wouldn't use Pro¹ as an alarm clock if I had to get somewhere on time.

My circa-1980s alarm clock radio works just fine for this purpose, however.  And I get to listen to music or chat (or ads) while I force myself out of bed.

For that matter, my 1980s digital watch alarm never fails. Or wind-up bell-ringer alarm clocks from earlier than that, solid and reliable if you remember to wind them.  Modern stuff tries to do so much - that causes it problems - it becomes unreliable for basic tasks.  I don't blame F(x)tec for this.  I blame society.  Although if they can make the alarm reliable, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.  But I think that means making the whole phone stable.  That's a lot of stuff that has to fit together, hard to be perfect.

Totally agree, and I used to love waking up with some radio. Sadly my country shut down the entire FM network. So it's either invest in a DAB radio alarm clock, or just use the phone.

6 hours ago, ard.flash.ash said:

Anyone had issues with the device restarting several times a day?

I've had it on previous phones where for the 1st day or two it might do a restart due to apps open, but with only one app open this thing is restarting at least twice a day?

Oh, and anyone had the finger print sensor pop out of place?

On the first, some have reported this too. It has been suspected to be related to what networks band is in use, and perhaps switch between these bands, though this is not confirmed. One reported the issues when parsing a partiular place by train (if I recall correctly)

The second is new. 😥

23 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

On the first, some have reported this too. It has been suspected to be related to what networks band is in use, and perhaps switch between these bands, though this is not confirmed. One reported the issues when parsing a partiular place by train (if I recall correctly)

The second is new. 😥

Cheers all, re the restart I've sent an email to support, so I'll wait and see what they say.

My last phone (Moto z2) used to hangup on calls when it didn't like the cell tower change. On my journey to work it would hang up in the same places every time, the Pro1 sails through those areas every time however with no issues.

Just wait and see what F(x)Tec come back with I guess.

• Like 1
On 2/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, EskeRahn said:

The second is new. 😥

If you're referring to my case, it certainly isn't network related. Because I have a friend that lives nearby, with the same subscription/operator, and his is rock solid. I did return my device for repair/replacement a week or so ago, but haven't heard anything since.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sdx said:

If you're referring to my case, it certainly isn't network related. Because I have a friend that lives nearby, with the same subscription/operator, and his is rock solid. I did return my device for repair/replacement a week or so ago, but haven't heard anything since.

Not quite.I was referring to this feedback from @ddark-il. I did not mean to blame the network in any way, but that the Pro1 seems to have a bug on some specific network changes (at the least his specimen seems to have). As I said it is not confirmed if this can explain the other reboot-issues that are reported,

Could be two separate bugs, or a specific way to trigger the same bug.

3 hours ago, ddark-il said:

It still can be network related, it's not that I was in bad reception area.. coverage is good there, but still got restarts.

For the bug you see it sounds like it almost certainly is something with the Pro1 not handling some network changes correctly, perhaps changing bands?
But the reboots others see we do not know if they are also network related, or something completely different. I guess when they fix the bug you got, we will see if it help others or not...

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Adrienspawn said:

Multiple successive restarts when on the edge of wifi range. 

Thanks for reporting. Let us hope they can use this to reproduce It,

I tried to reproduce here, but was unable to.

Can you elaborate a bit on how it happens?

On 2/10/2020 at 2:22 PM, david said:

The speedtest app causes my phone to reboot when it runs a speed test.  It happened 4 out of 5 times today.  Today is the first time I have run the app on my Pro1.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times, but it did not fix the issue.

The first time it happened, when my phone rebooted, it forced me to use my lock screen pattern before it would finish booting, in addition to at the lock screen.  I did not have lock screen security enabled at the time this happened.  I had security enabled for the past week, but when I unlocked my bootloader and rooted my phone and did all the OTA updates this weekend, the phone went through a factory reset.  I did not reenable the lock screen security after that, and I had never enabled boot security.

In other words, it remembered my lock screen security pattern across the factory reset, and somehow, the forced reboot by the speedtest app reenabled lock screen security and turned on boot security.

After this happened, I disabled lock screen security and reenabled it, telling it to not enable boot security.  Subsequent forced reboots from running the speedtest app test did not reenable the boot security.

I am on the 20200106 OTA firmware.

UPDATE:  There are more details in the other topic, but the problem has been narrowed down to only happening with 802.11n, on 2.4GHz (did not try 802.11n on 5.8 GHz), and only on one of my two routers.  That is a higher performance router, so it could be one of the advanced 802.11n features that is not being handled well by the phone, combined with whatever the speedtest app is doing in its "Connecting..." phase.  802.11ac never shows the problem.  802.11a or 802.11g (not sure which) never shows the problem.  Cellular never shows the problem.

I had to factory reset my phone a few days ago.  The Speedtest app crashing on 2.4 GHz 802.11n still happens.  There was a chance that there was some garbage left over from a previous firmware build that was causing instability for the latest OTA.  That doesn't appear to be the case.

Edited by david
  • Sad 1
  • Erik unpinned this topic