On the pre-production status

5 minutes ago, npatel1050 said:

Waited this long, I can keep waiting. I would wager it's in the company's best interests to pump these out as fast as they can and fulfill the demand.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get a device this year and I get my money back. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

3 hours ago, npatel1050 said:

Waited this long, I can keep waiting. I would wager it's in the company's best interests to pump these out as fast as they can and fulfill the demand.

I agree, I am sure they want to fulfill demand as soon as possible and I hope the best.

Anyway, I don't find postal service really fast these days - usually they are really slow here and now I feel they work extremely slowly at lowest imaginable limits (even when the package is in the country).

Other couriers like DHL seems to be working well anyway (and Pro1 shipments used higher-grade couriers), however, shipping through these couriers seem to be more expensive now.

At my side, I use a Pro1 as my daily driver and I would still say it worth my money.
So I know closely how usable this phone is and I know I would be happy if I would receive it in a few weeks (looking from usability perspective) but still would be sad if I would not have it yet (because I want to use it).

So I really hope they are able to deliver all remaining phones soon.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, npatel1050 said:

I would wager it's in the company's best interests to pump these out as fast as they can and fulfill the demand

Noone ever said otherwise. My "estimation" was not about what they might want to do, it was about what I expect they can do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 4/28/2020 at 10:09 AM, npatel1050 said:

And I hope they are still keeping busy with updating the software as well. The hardware is 3 generations behind and OS is 1 version behind. At the very least they can add value and show they are committed to providing updates, thus assuring us that there will be a good support lifespan despite the delay. Otherwise the premium for the keyboard is way too much.

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, ToniCipriani said:

And I hope they are still keeping busy with updating the software as well.

I'm afraid not much is going on on the software side. They even botched an update promising to fix it quick weeks ago and they still have not fixed it yet. F(x)tec relies on their manufacturing partner for the software too. However the quality of the initial software is such that not getting much update for a while is acceptable TBH.

My guess is that if they can't produce significant hardware volume it does not make sense for them to keep investing in software. Luckily for us Lineage OS or other alternative should be available long term even if F(x)tec and partners do not survive the economic downturn.

To be fair, the last status we had is that they're waiting for certification from "the authority" (read: Google). Not having that was the very reason that update was botched (apparently this needs to be done for every security patch level). Don't ask me how this makes the system any more secure with all the vendor binaries that don't need this, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Drawing from the thread about tracking numbers it seems like really very few orders were fullfilled. Ive expected at least sthg. like one hundred, hundred fifty, but.. seems like tens only.. 😞

Edited by Swond
15 hours ago, ToniCipriani said:

Otherwise the premium for the keyboard is way too much

That is something that can hardly be specified objectively.

It depends on 1. how much someone cares for always getting the latest stuff (instead of asking which real-life advantages that latest stuff actually brings over the less recent stuff and how much or how little that objectively affects whatever they're doing with the respective gear) – and 2. how much someone cares for the keyboard.

Me, when I ordered the phone half a year ago, I looked at RAM and flash memory (just to make sure they exceeded my minimum requirements as they did and as I already expected) and whether there's a Micro SD slot, but I didn't even bother to look at the processor specs at all. I couldn't have cared less, and I don't care today. Until I get my the Pro¹, I'll be using my mid-range Motorola phone which is already more than powerful enough for everything I ever need to do with a phone – wishing, just because of the keyboard, that I wouldn't have given up on the PRIV that early (for the promise of the Moto Keyboard Mod which didn't make it into production after all). 

I'm paying for the keyboard here – and beneath that I just expect a decent, usable phone, which I have no doubt the Pro¹ is today and will still be in a year or two.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Craig said:

I seem to recall something about shipping in the summer....

Right, but fxtec already wrote that last year. That's why I would not believe such optimistic announcements.

We are beginning the manufacturing in the next few weeks with estimated first shipping to pre-order customers during the  2nd week of September.

We are beginning the manufacturing in the next few weeks with estimated first shipping to pre-order customers during the  2nd week of September.

I think we're getting ahead of ourselves.  Shouldn't there be a July prediction next, before September/mid-September?

On 4/30/2020 at 1:10 AM, Slion said:

Luckily for us Lineage OS or other alternative should be available long term even if F(x)tec and partners do not survive the economic downturn.

Downside to that is I can't use it as a BYOD device. Corporate software has stuff like bootloader and root checks, so custom OSes likely won't fly.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2020 at 11:10 AM, Rob. S. said:

That is something that can hardly be specified objectively.

It depends on 1. how much someone cares for always getting the latest stuff (instead of asking which real-life advantages that latest stuff actually brings over the less recent stuff and how much or how little that objectively affects whatever they're doing with the respective gear) – and 2. how much someone cares for the keyboard.

Me, when I ordered the phone half a year ago, I looked at RAM and flash memory (just to make sure they exceeded my minimum requirements as they did and as I already expected) and whether there's a Micro SD slot, but I didn't even bother to look at the processor specs at all. I couldn't have cared less, and I don't care today. Until I get my the Pro¹, I'll be using my mid-range Motorola phone which is already more than powerful enough for everything I ever need to do with a phone – wishing, just because of the keyboard, that I wouldn't have given up on the PRIV that early (for the promise of the Moto Keyboard Mod which didn't make it into production after all). 

I'm paying for the keyboard here – and beneath that I just expect a decent, usable phone, which I have no doubt the Pro¹ is today and will still be in a year or two.

You're preaching this to someone who's still using a Priv.  

The OS version absolutely does matter. Just the past few weeks I saw so many apps just randomly break off features, including BlackBerry's own software, and they are not responding to bugfix feedback. I can only think this will just get worse as developers stop focusing on Marshmallow. To have a brand new phone you're effectively cutting lifespan, which in turn factors in how much you pay for it. If it's a $100-200 prepaid Android I can see the lack of support but not a $700+ phone.

The SoC would've still worked if the thermal solution on the Priv wasn't so bad. I can run Mario Kart decently for like a few races before the stuttering and heating kicks in causing lags.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ToniCipriani said:

The OS version absolutely does matter

Not necessarily for everyone.

As I said, it depends. Until a few days ago, one of my regularly used devices was a tablet running Android 4, and I only replaced it after my Nextcloud kicked it out because of the outdated encryption schemes it tried while connecting.

I agree, though, that Android 6 for a 'daily driver' smartphone is not acceptable. Neither was BlackBerry's stopping security updates just a couple of weeks after I bought the device. A device that was marketed as the world's most secure Android phone for some time.. And that was once big BlackBerry.

Now, as far as i can see, many currently sold smartphones have Android 9 installed, and not all of them even come with the promise of a future Android 10 upgrade. And if I remember correctly, the Pro¹ comes which Android 9, plus the statement that the manufacturer will look into offering Android 10 at some point.

Really, what more do you expect? In a situation in which a large amount of the hardware orders have not yet been fulfilled, orders which date back half a year and more? Wouldn't you, too, think that the primary goal can only be to see how the company can even survive? 

On 5/1/2020 at 6:07 PM, a123qwertz567 said:

What is a realistic delivery time from order to shipping under the current conditions?

Quite impossible to tell I think. They're beginning shipping again, and before this whole mess it seemed they were close to done with shipping pre-orders. So I'd guess we're mostly waiting for them to ramp up to complete productivity again. But if that is weeks or months? No idea. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Raksura said:

Is that not how paid and not-yet-paid pre-orders are differentiated?

It was a preorder for months after I paid. I guess they changed it so their promise to fulfill the preorders until a certain date would be easier to fulfill (we all know how that went).

It's alright, I bought and paid in september so technically it wasn't a preorder anymore. But I really don't see why that is more important than changing the delivery time on the website for new buyers. And looking for a change on my (pre)order that was not exactly what I was hoping for...

• Like 1

Pre-Order: August 19, 2019

Really, really, really been trying to be patient, and I know a lot of things have not been within anyone's control, but wow! 

Was hoping to replace my wife's Priv(as she is adamant her phone must have a keyboard) which is now really starting to get in bad shape,

• First as a Anniversary gift
  • Then as a Halloween gift
  • Then as a Thanksgiving gift
  • Then as a Christmas gift
  • Then as a New Years gift
  • Then as a Valentines day gift
  • Then as a St Patricks Day gift
  • Then as an Easter gift
  • Then as a Arbor Day gift
  • Then as a Cinco de Mayo gift
  • Then as a Mothers Day gift
  • Guess I can wrap it as a Memorial Day gift?

It is not like anyone has ever mentioned it would be shipping "soon".

😂

• Haha 3
59 minutes ago, Vission said:

First as a Anniversary gift

I think your first idea is good.  Make it an Anniversary gift.    It should make it in time...

Although I think Independence Day is more likely than Memorial Day.

• Haha 2
13 hours ago, Vission said:

Pre-Order: August 19, 2019

Really, really, really been trying to be patient, and I know a lot of things have not been within anyone's control, but wow! 

Was hoping to replace my wife's Priv(as she is adamant her phone must have a keyboard) which is now really starting to get in bad shape,

• First as a Anniversary gift
  • Then as a Halloween gift
  • Then as a Thanksgiving gift
  • Then as a Christmas gift
  • Then as a New Years gift
  • Then as a Valentines day gift
  • Then as a St Patricks Day gift
  • Then as an Easter gift
  • Then as a Arbor Day gift
  • Then as a Cinco de Mayo gift
  • Then as a Mothers Day gift
  • Guess I can wrap it as a Memorial Day gift?

It is not like anyone has ever mentioned it would be shipping "soon".

😂

Well the revamped website still says shipping in 4-6 weeks if you order now, so you should have it soon!

• Haha 3

My family doesn't even believe me anymore 😅
I have almost the same list. In between there were three birthdays. Now I'm back to anniversary July-19th.

This week I asked which case they prefer. Ow, we're still getting that phone 😒 !?
By the time shipping is confirmed, I bet ya, the cases they want aren't available anymore 😑

6 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Well the revamped website still says shipping in 4-6 weeks if you order now, so you should have it soon!

I think fxtec left two zeros there.
I am now waiting 41 weeks since my pre-order and 40 weeks since my payment.

I think it would be more realistic if fxtec wrote "Order your Pro1 today. Shipping worldwide in 40-60 weeks."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5