On the pre-production status

57 minutes ago, Craig said:

Haven't heard that much before.  Thought our battery was pretty good.

Yeah ok, it is average I guess, so if you are having a busy long day on your smartphone you will need to top up to make sure it does not let you down. I guess it all depends to what you compare it to. Compared to a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge I would say it is equivalent. That's a four years old flagship. Devices like Huawei P30 Pro however can easily take you through two days without charge.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

When my usage is limited to browsing and IM, I get a day's use easily. But some apps just burn through the juice.
That being said, comparing the latest CPU optimizations with a 4500mAh battery (P30) to our three year old architecture with a 3200mAh battery is hardly fair.

Sure, by now I've had faster slicker phones in my hands. Wouldn't trade them for my Pro1 though. Only wish it would take better pictures. That's it. 

And I feel the need to express my grattitude towards FxTec. Name me one other start-up that has deliverd the goods a year later... They all move to the Bahama's wiht your money. FxTec has been taking abuse for what, at least 18 months. All refunds have been aknowledged, as have all reapairs (apart from shortages in stock). And they keep on delivering the goods.
Sure, I don't have them yet. But, I am looking forward to handing the remaining Pro1's to my family members somewhere this month. So I can finally put those SnakeHive things to good use...

BTW, fuck bugfixes, just go straight to the latest Android as far as I'm concerned 🙂

Edited by DieBruine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DieBruine said:

Sure, by now I've had faster slicker phones in my hands. Wouldn't trade them for my Pro1 though. Only wish it would take better pictures. That's it. 

I also feel the Pro1 hardware is more than enough and the keyboard is a huge plus, so I would not trade my Pro1 for anything else...

However, about photos... have you tried GCam mods like "Poco F1"?
It takes really good photos even in dark environment - so basically also its camera is good, just need a better software than stock one.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Slion said:

Good luck with that, be prepared for a bumpy ride. First the battery life is less than impressive to start with, so in five years time you may have to charge it five times a day. Then the quality and longevity of some of the components has yet to be proven. The weakest link being certainly the display.

On the plus side reparability is really good. So providing that you are stock up on spare parts you should be alright. You can start by ordering a second one 😁

We will see. I was on a BB PRIV for 3 years, never changed anything on it and it still works..it's just..super slow and didn't age well. Battery still holds full charge and can last a day. One thing I learned from it though, never use an OLED display on maximum brightness. I ended up burning a game into the screen lol (was really into Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links at that time, you can still see the life points on the edges). So from day 1 I only used the Pro1 on half brightness. (currently I am really into a gacha called Princess Connect Re:Dive)

So far I had no problems with anything. Hopefully it stays that way. One major thing I dislike is the state of stock android...especially that sound crackling bug in games. I am legit more worried about getting stuck on crap software than my hardware failing now. But in the worst case scenario I'll just move to Lineage.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DieBruine said:

BTW, fuck bugfixes, just go straight to the latest Android as far as I'm concerned 🙂

I have it the other way round. The most annoying bugs should have highest priority. Most likely what ever customisation they do can be moved over from P to Q at some point. And I would much rather have a stable P than a buggy unstable Q

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Tsunero said:

sound crackling bug in games

That one it pretty awful, it should be FxTec number one priority as far as software improvement goes.

4 hours ago, DieBruine said:

Now the issue is that a lot of the vendor stuff would probably be taken 1:1 from the current OS where possible, so the dodgy sound config for example would likely persist on a fancy new Android version.

Can't even tell what I'd want a newer Android version for... maybe for the dark mode, but that's it.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, elvissteinjr said:

Can't even tell what I'd want a newer Android version for... maybe for the dark mode, but that's it.

Dark mode and full screen gesture navigation.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DieBruine said:

BTW, fuck bugfixes, just go straight to the latest Android as far as I'm concerne

I gotta say I'm the opposite.  I would be pretty annoyed if they push a new Android version for us without fixing the basics that shoulda been fixed before shipping to customers, and certainly after the first couple batches went out and all the issues were reported. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Craig said:

I gotta say I'm the opposite.  I would be pretty annoyed if they push a new Android version for us without fixing the basics that shoulda been fixed before shipping to customers, and certainly after the first couple batches went out and all the issues were reported. 

And to add to that the sheer amount of said bugs are actually already fixed already on a third-party project (Lineage). They can only blame certification so much at this point.

• Like 1

Do have a clue about how many preorders are left? Assuming they're going in order I wonder what date of preorders they're at now. I guess still having orders to fill keeps demand high and that's good but I want general availability before I place my order

• Like 1
5 hours ago, npatel1050 said:

Do have a clue about how many preorders are left?

They haven't released stats on that for quite a while now but at least half of them are done for sure. (probably more but I don't think there's that many left now)

5 hours ago, npatel1050 said:

Do have a clue about how many preorders are left? Assuming they're going in order I wonder what date of preorders they're at now. I guess still having orders to fill keeps demand high and that's good but I want general availability before I place my order

We have a clue.  They told us in January they shipped 70% of orders.  In December it was like 10%.    Now they've recently shipped a few more, but also since then a few more orders have come in.  

Probably a couple hundred left to go.

Would anybody know when did F(x)tec stop taking pre-orders? I suspect the answer is not unanimous.

EDIT: Not unanimous sounds double negative but it isn't. Collins dictionary says the word comes from Latin ūnanimus and from 'ūnus' (one) and 'animus' (mind).

Edited by jlavi
Added grammatical stuff
16 minutes ago, jlavi said:

Would anybody know when did F(x)tec stop taking pre-orders? I suspect the answer is not unanimous.

I don't know how it actually goes but at least pre-order page was no longer valid in September 2019 (in August 2019 it was still working).

I was waiting for my pro1> six months. Fed by promises, I canceled the order. (which I will stick with you, because you support the wrong manufacturer). It took me 6 days to attach the keyboard to the phone: select the base for the keyboard, build a schematic, write 2 huge programs, make corrections to the kernel code. What has fxtec been doing for years? Shame.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1XQ5Hv0sZo

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
42 minutes ago, troll said:

It took me 6 days to attach the keyboard to the phone: select the base for the keyboard, build a schematic, write 2 huge programs, make corrections to the kernel code. What has fxtec been doing for years? Shame. 

Do you know what you are talking about?

I understand you can do something DIY but to design a phone (both electronically and mechanically), do correct measurements, design antenna system, design manufacturing process for mass production, do certifications, etc are another matter.

It is a long and costly project and you also have to work on software side which also has some stages.

Anyway, they have also reached that stage what you are speaking about a long time ago but it is only one part of the whole process.
Also, you had a phone to work with and not counted the time and effort what phone manufacturer put in the design of that phone, nor you have checked how affects the keyboard inner parts and placement the reception of the antennas - it is not a problem in a DIY project but it is in an industrial project.

Moreover, if you would have to make let's say only 1000 pieces of  only your modification, how long would it take and how much of your hairs would be pulled out?
...and what would you say if the phone or the keyboard is unreachable for a while because of transportation problems?

How would you handle those who complain something unexpected happened?
...as unexpected things are always happen and especially if you are a startup, so you have no already initiated partnerships.

I think a lot of manufacturers (startups) would have been shut down their project because of these unexpected conditions like COVID-19 but F(x)tec really want to solve all of these problems and continue manufacturing.

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Do you know what you are talking about?

I understand you can do something DIY but to design a phone (both electronically and mechanically), do correct measurements, design antenna system, design manufacturing process for mass production, do certifications, etc are another matter.

It is a long and costly project and you also have to work on software side which also has some stages.

Anyway, they have also reached that stage what you are speaking about a long time ago but it is only one part of the whole process.
Also, you had a phone to work with and not counted the time and effort what phone manufacturer put in the design of that phone, nor you have checked how affects the keyboard inner parts and placement the reception of the antennas - it is not a problem in a DIY project but it is in an industrial project.

Moreover, if you would have to make let's say only 1000 pieces of  only your modification, how long would it take and how much of your hairs would be pulled out?
...and what would you say if the phone or the keyboard is unreachable for a while because of transportation problems?

How would you handle those who complain something unexpected happened?
...as unexpected things are always happen and especially if you are a startup, so you have no already initiated partnerships.

I think a lot of manufacturers (startups) would have been shut down their project because of these unexpected conditions like COVID-19 but F(x)tec really want to solve all of these problems and continue manufacturing.

Not sure why you are giving him such a serious detailed response... he does, after all, admit at the outset that he's a troll.  😄

• Haha 3
45 minutes ago, Hook said:

Not sure why you are giving him such a serious detailed response... he does, after all, admit at the outset that he's a troll.  😄

Hmm, unsure. ☺️
You are right that his / her nickname is self-speaking. 😄

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1

Quick question here: I got an email earlier this week saying my order had been allocated (thank the stars above!). However, I have moved since I placed the order. I did change my new address when I moved, but after looking at my current order it had my old address as the shipping address. I just sent an email to Support but I'm scared it's too late. 

Does anyone else have experience with having moved and trying to change addresses with receiving this phone?

8 minutes ago, Bruce Wayne said:

Unexpected conditions like delivering devices to retailers..rather than pre-orders..😂😂😂

We don't know the background, be it a mistake (which are definitively also happened), contract-related or other considerations.

Earlier, they may thought they will be able to produce pre-orders much earlier but they had some unexpected conditions like having light-bleeding problem, some other problems with earlier displays, some other quality problems, slower production scaling than expected, etc - these are affected manufactured device count and earlier contracts may had some clauses which may highly affect profitability.

We know very few information regarding this, but unexpected conditions may definitively apply.