Pro¹ X – state of production and delivery

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Peronally I have long been advocating for one hand operability, and this means a limit around 65mm wide. BUT there are two drawbacks on that. One is lesser keys (or for me worse: fewer). Secondly the display would be lesser, and that again would mean less information (=a lot of scrolling) or the use of a font so small that it gets beyond what my aging eyes can handle without extra glasses.

Also remember that the newer ugly material design wastes more screen space, so many apps are today designed for the oversized phablets and not phone-size (quite similar to a lot of apps working poorly in landscape).

A more compact design would also make it (even) thicker, or need a lesser battery with shorter stamina.

So overall I think Fxtec did a pretty wise choice to give us (close to) a standard keyboard. Especially the letter keys right of the a-z block for national letters for many countries, without making the keys too small for the majority.

ADD: What I really would like was an OS (re)designed for phablets!! That is design guidelines operating with the full screen for displaying stuff, but only the one-hand reachable part as active for (primary) touch-interaction - it would be acceptable that seldomly used interaction was beyond (e.g. buttons for advanced settings)

i agree 2 hand operabillity is something that needs to be looked at 
this is why i like the layout of olders phones . more hardware buttons 
back in the day u could pick youre phone up by clicking a green button .
now a days u need to slide on the side of the screen u can reach making it a 2 handed phone call 
realy akward 

now i have a 6.5 inch screen and i do love having all that size while navigating 
i think for me the qtek 9090  then the blackberry priv where the ultimate phone layouts  ( qtek because of pickup buttons)

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Production does indeed seem to be starting...  

Please stop. You made your points, there are people here who invested in this project knowing that, you are doing a disservice to the intent of the project and to those that have supported this f

Since I ordered my first Fxtec phone, a Pro1, in Sept 2019 (which also seems to become the one to arrive last...) I've read everything Fxtec communicated (plus every comment in this forum), including

Posted Images

On 7/6/2022 at 2:25 PM, linparda said:

Actually, they must have updated things - there were 3 left before I bought it and 2 left after I bought it. I checked. Maybe it is a different run? I see they started shipping already. I think only Germany and Korea are left and scheduled for next week, I believe. I like the mechanical keys and it is just a tad bigger than the Pro 1x - just under 3/4". I also like that the screen slides completely away from the keyboard. Of course, can't really tell which one I will like better until I get them both in my hands.

So something I've been wondering, but entirely unable to answer, is it feasible on the Astro to type with thumbs like a standard qwerty side sliding phone, or is it mostly only comfortable to use like a laptop keyboard? Looking at the size and shape of the keys, it is hard for me to imagine typing on it like you would with the Pro1-X would be comfortable or easy. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Fullmetaljacket223 said:

So something I've been wondering, but entirely unable to answer, is it feasible on the Astro to type with thumbs like a standard qwerty side sliding phone, or is it mostly only comfortable to use like a laptop keyboard? Looking at the size and shape of the keys, it is hard for me to imagine typing on it like you would with the Pro1-X would be comfortable or easy. 

The keyboard itself seems very close to identical to the Cosmo, and some have wrote about using that in here. If i recall correctly you can do thumb-typing.

ADD: Here two report it in a non-positve way as too large for it

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Fullmetaljacket223 said:

I own the Gemini PDA, a predecessor to the Astro which was also made by Planet Computers and that has a similarly-sized keyboard. I have relatively short and stubby thumbs, and I find it somewhat difficult to type on the Gemini using only my thumbs. For me, it's much easier to set the Gemini down on a flat surface and type as I would on a regualr keyboard.

I do not own a Pro1 but am slated to receive a Pro1 X. I can give a more detailed comparison of the two devices once the Pro1 X arrives.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, jsreed5 said:

I own the Gemini PDA, a predecessor to the Astro which was also made by Planet Computers and that has a similarly-sized keyboard. I have relatively short and stubby thumbs, and I find it somewhat difficult to type on the Gemini using only my thumbs. For me, it's much easier to set the Gemini down on a flat surface and type as I would on a regualr keyboard.

I do not own a Pro1 but am slated to receive a Pro1 X. I can give a more detailed comparison of the two devices once the Pro1 X arrives.

Me too - I also find that the Gemini is really only usable when resting on a flat surface.

I am also a former owner of a Sharp Zaurus SL-C760, now sadly defunct. I found that excellent for thumb typing, and I am hopeful that the Pro1-X will be as good. Here is a post on talk.maemo.org with a couple of links to YouTube videos comparing thumb typing on the Pro1 using the hardware keyboard and on-screen keyboard.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, sequestris said:

Who will get devices first - Indie customers or orders from the website?

Good question... another question is the Pro1 backlog size, so what part of new orders will receive Pro1-X from the first batch...

• Like 2
On 7/10/2022 at 12:39 AM, VaZso said:
On 7/9/2022 at 7:31 PM, sequestris said:

Who will get devices first - Indie customers or orders from the website?

Good question... another question is the Pro1 backlog size, so what part of new orders will receive Pro1-X from the first batch.

As I'm likely one of the first persons to have ordered the Pro1 and not received it yet, and also one of the first couple of hundred orderers of a Pro1X, I hope to be able to add some data points to those questions soon... 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

As I'm likely one of the first persons to have ordered the Pro1 and not received it yet, and also one of the first couple of hundred orderers of a Pro1X, I hope to be able to add some data points to those questions soon... 

On 7/10/2022 at 12:39 AM, VaZso said:

Good question... another question is the Pro1 backlog size, so what part of new orders will receive Pro1-X from the first batch...

well the picture looks promising, the batch is surely bigger than the backlog of Pro1 orders. So at least in theory, you should be fine. The question is, if they will be able to prioritize these persons.

It could even be, that all pro1x orders are this batch, which would be great.

Note: I do not know exact numbers, but judged from the known numbers, this "educated guess" should hold up.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

I have ordered my Pro1 back in April 2020, and have not received it yet. Earlier I have inquired regarding the status of the shipping via support and I got the answer that "The Order will reach a halt because Pro1 production has stopped and it will await do the upgrade to happen." and that I my order has to upgrade your into a Pro1 X for a £50 fee.

I am honestly not sure what to think of this.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

well the picture looks promising, the batch is surely bigger than the backlog of Pro1 orders. So at least in theory, you should be fine. The question is, if they will be able to prioritize these persons.

I am among the first 30 of Pro1X orders, so I may also tell more about it later.

• Like 2

Finally some shipping info in lateset update here:

ctcaeycwsnlea3hohkc8
by FX Technology
Jul 11, 2022 • 2:20PM
14 minutes ago
Pro1-X Manufacturing Update - July

bpdsq8dxjej2uo87mxay.jpg

Dear Pro1-X backers:

Here are the latest manufacturing and shipping updates!

• Pro1-X's are in transit to our shipping partner in Hong Kong. They are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, with mass shipping pending for this week! 

c0iazy8zcxp5cekucucj.jpg

vun9xconn5usxamsgd6n.jpg

Shipping:

• We are due to start mass shipping this week.
  • Once your Pro1-X has been dispatched, you will receive an email with your tracking details. You will also be able to find your tracking details through the contributions page on Indiegogo. 
  • Devices will be shipped straight from Hong Kong - please keep an eye out for any communications from Fedex as they may try and contact you regarding customs clearance for your order. Please note that you may be subject to import tax/customs charges. 
  • Pro1-X’s will be shipped in two batches: 
    • Batch 1 - 707 devices (shipping will begin this week)
    • Batch 2 - remaining Pro1-X’s are currently being manufactured & are due to be shipped to HK this month. Specific shipping & delivery dates TBC. 

Software Update:

• We can no longer provide a guaranteed date by which Lineage OS and Ubuntu Touch OS will be available.
  • Both OS’s are community driven, so it is difficult to determine exactly how long it will take to get them to a stable state because it relies heavily on developers’ time and availability. 
  • As an alternative, we will now ship all Pro1-Xs with Android OS (shipping commences this week).  
  • Those that choose Lineage OS or Ubuntu Touch OS will be notified via email once the OS’s are fully functioning and usable.
  • We will also provide complete documentation and a step-by-step guide on how to manually flash your Pro1-X with Lineage OS or Ubuntu Touch OS. 

Spare parts and bundles:

• The remaining perks will be shipped separately to Pro1-X devices. These include:
    • Enthusiast Bundle - you will receive your Pro1-X first. The spare screen, spare battery, and screen protectors will be shipped separately. 
    • Tech Bundle - shipped separately.
    • Spare battery - shipped separately.

This will be the final Indiegogo update before we officially start mass fulfillment of the Pro1-X- we really are almost ready to begin shipping!   

Thank you so much to our wonderful Indiegogo community for all of your continued patience and support We really appreciate it and can not wait to start seeing you all using your Pro1-X’s ? 

Team Fxtec 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just wonder how many of those 707 units in the 1st batch will be used to fill the backlog of Pro1 orders? My Pro1-X contribution ID is 5XX and if there are 200 or more in the Pro1 backlog, I will be screwed. 🙁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jlavi said:

Just wonder how many of those 707 units in the 1st batch will be used to fill the backlog of Pro1 orders? My Pro1-X contribution ID is 5XX and if there are 200 or more in the Pro1 backlog, I will be screwed. 🙁

Surely there are definitely more then 200, much more ...

2 hours ago, jlavi said:

I don't think 707 is an actual manufacturing number, a production unit of a factory is most likely in the 1000s range or at least 100pcs.

So, if I understand it correctly, around 203 units may be the backlog of Pro1 (or maybe 93pcs or anything dividable by 100 or 1000) and 707 units should be Pro1X preorders or IGG perks...

20 hours ago, Fenn said:

I have ordered my Pro1 back in April 2020, and have not received it yet. Earlier I have inquired regarding the status of the shipping via support and I got the answer that "The Order will reach a halt because Pro1 production has stopped and it will await do the upgrade to happen." and that I my order has to upgrade your into a Pro1 X for a £50 fee.

In your position, I'd tell them to wait because it sounds weird for asking an extra fee.

Then I'd look around to other people who have ordered and see if they receive correctly. If they receive, correctly, then I'd pay and expect to receive it.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, jlavi said:

I'm barely after the XX number 😝. I'm hoping to get it in this batch. Where I live, customs work terribly in August.

I believe there was a thread at one point where people would post their order number for the original Pro1, the country their order was shipping to, and when they got a shipping notification for the device. This allowed people to infer information about the order of shipping.

Does that thread still exist? If so, we might start using it once we get notifications, or start posting such information here.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, VaZso said:

I don't think 707 is an actual manufacturing number, a production unit of a factory is most likely in the 1000s range or at least 100pcs.

So, if I understand it correctly, around 203 units may be the backlog of Pro1 (or maybe 93pcs or anything dividable by 100 or 1000) and 707 units should be Pro1X preorders or IGG perks...

I've worked in places where they ship part orders - while production is ongoing any full box or pallet when the courier turns up gets sent.  I'm seeing 7 layers on pallets but can't get 101 to divide by 7.  20 per box (matches the number of lines on the sticker) would be 840 so perhaps 137 Pro1s outstanding?  No idea what's in the top box with lots of stickers on...

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, jsreed5 said:

I believe there was a thread at one point where people would post their order number for the original Pro1, the country their order was shipping to, and when they got a shipping notification for the device. This allowed people to infer information about the order of shipping.

It was Got Your Pro1, Tracking Number or "Stock Assigned" message? POST HERE!

Wouldn't it be better to have a new thread for Pro1-X ?

• Like 1
On 7/11/2022 at 11:50 AM, Fenn said:

That is from the Email, we got on 2021-02-10:

"As an existing Pro1 customer, your device will be automatically upgraded to a Pro1-X (www.fxtec.com/pro1x). Please choose from one of the following two options (for those that have not upgraded their order already):

Pro1-X with 128GB storage & 6GB RAM, in Black - FREE 

Pro1-X with 256GB storage & 8GB RAM, in Sapphire Blue - $40"

I chose option one.

• Like 2
On 7/11/2022 at 10:36 PM, jlavi said:

contribution IDs do not directly match to the number of sold phones. There are also battery packs,  support perks etc.
I myself generated two contribution IDs without ordering a phone.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Acurus said:

That is from the Email, we got on 2021-02-10:

"As an existing Pro1 customer, your device will be automatically upgraded to a Pro1-X (www.fxtec.com/pro1x). Please choose from one of the following two options (for those that have not upgraded their order already):

Pro1-X with 128GB storage & 6GB RAM, in Black - FREE 

Pro1-X with 256GB storage & 8GB RAM, in Sapphire Blue - $40"

I chose option one.

Thanks for the reminder, I had already forgotten what I chose! (Turns out it was option 2, with QWERTY instead of the originally ordered QWERTZ layout...)

• Like 1

i should be getting one of these first batches since im stil waiting on my pro 1 
however after checking my contribution for indigogo for the pro 1 x i noticed something strange 
my contribution id is 2105 and is the pre early bird 256gb , i paid 679 + 40 usd for shipping 
however if i look back in my email i payed and was part of another perk 
the pre early bird 256gb for 599 +40 usd for shipping  and contribution id was 418
also i checked my bank account and that also says i payed 618 euro's (euro vs dollar was better then i gues )
ima just keep waiting because idk what to believe at this stage 😂

• Haha 2