Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

So - I got the phone today and I'm completely satisfied with the pouch that came with it. The only thing I would have loved - or something I will have to buy - would have been a more 'gritty' backside, similiar to the Moto Z Plus. The FxTec Pro1 is slippery compared to every other phone I ever had. (@Eske didn't you write somewhere that they received feedback on that during a meet up and wanted to make it less slippery?)

edit

after comparing it to phones of my colleagues, it doesn't seem that bad. I guess I just naturally went for phones that had a 'grittier' panel or were smaller. The combination of 'bigger' (compared to N900 or Neo Freerunner) and smooth surface is something I did not experience before.

If you ever tried an Iphone 6- or the like, then you will know how slippery a phone can be. 😈

But sure a little extra grip is always welcome in my book. I do not recall having said anything on it, though I might. If I recall right, the preproduction unit I got in the spring was said to be improved over the very early prototypes, but not sure..

I haven't had a single incident of it slipping my hands due to a poor grip. And now I added varies Note-7 cases on them, the grip is further improved.

27 minutes ago, Krzysieq said:

What is the thickness of the keyboard half of Pro1? Looking at length x width alone, anything that fits Honor 20, Honor 20 lite, Honor 10, Honor 10 lite or Huawei nova 5t has a fair chance to fit the Pro1's bottom half. Here are all the phones with nearest dimensions (width x length):

Target is Pro1 with 154x73.6mm, thickness unknown at the time of this writing.

Lenovo S5 (154 x 73.5 x 7.8 mm )

Note7 (153.5 x 73.9 x 7.9)

Huawei nova 5t (154.3 x 74 x 7.8 mm)

Honor 20 (154.3 x 74 x 7.9 mm)

Honor 20 lite (154.8 x 73.6 x 8 mm)

Honor 20i (154.8 x 73.6 x 8 mm)

Honor 20S (154.3 x 74 x 7.9 mm)

Honor 10 lite (154.8 x 73.6 x 8 mm)

They're all about the same thickness, but as usual, the devil is in the details... And of course the layout of ports and buttons might mean some carving out with a precision knife to get an exact fit.

See earlier posts... pointing to this

The Huawei/Honor ones does not fit properly. I assume due to different corner curvature. They simply pop off.

I haven't tried the Lenovo S5 one.

gsmarena is how I found those dimensions exactly. Lenovo S5 seems to be off by just 0.1 of mm on the width, so it could be a good fit, depending on the thickness of the keyboard half of the Pro1. But the cameras are oriented along the short edge while on the Pro1 they're on the long edge, so any leather or leather-like case will need a fair bit of work to get it to fit and look decent.

8 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If you ever tried an Iphone 6- or the like, then you will know how slippery a phone can be. 😈

But sure a little extra grip is always welcome in my book. I do not recall having said anything on it, though I might. If I recall right, the preproduction unit I got in the spring was said to be improved over the very early prototypes, but not sure..

I haven't had a single incident of it slipping my hands due to a poor grip. And now I added varies Note-7 cases on them, the grip is further improved.

the very day i bought Note 8 after just half an hour it slipped out of my hand and dropped to floor. Note 8 is so big and very slippery.

lucky no damage was done.

so i bought a get case which is much better to grip

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, helder_alemao said:

I suggested a skin protection to Pro 1 such as Samsung Fold's

https://www.slickwraps.com/devices/phones/samsung/galaxy-fold.htmlv

https://dbrand.com/shop/galaxy-fold-skins

Chen liked the idea. It is cheap to fabricate, to install and it is a nice protection

Yes I like that too. And especially if it is offered in a 'rubberised' finish that also offers an even better grip

26 minutes ago, helder_alemao said:

Rubberised finish and some thikness

Well with some extra thickness to get a better protection, we are talking a case/shell, not just a film. I don't think that we can get more than scratch-protection from a film.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

See earlier posts... pointing to this

The Huawei/Honor ones does not fit properly. I assume due to different corner curvature. They simply pop off.

I haven't tried the Lenovo S5 one.

A modification. The soft shell case type for "Huawei P20 Pro" is actually a better fit than the "Samsung Note 7" soft shell case. As the existing cut outs is closer to the Pro1.

So IF we can find a RIGHT SIDE hinged flip case, it would be close to a full match.
Oddly I have not been able to find those, though it is the obvious way for two handed usage for right handed people to hold it in your left and operate it with your right hand fingers...

I found a LOT of different LEFT SIDED hinged (This goes for the Note 7 cases too), those would have the best fit used up side down on the Pro. Though you could use them with the front flap folded under the device (assuming you don't try to use the main camera, or cut more holes), but that would leave the button side less protected, so far from optimal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hello EskeRahn, many thanks for all the testwork you have been doing on the cases.

You talked about the "Huawei P20 Pro" soft shell being a good option.
This would only protect the bottom half of the device though,  and not the screen?
Or are you proposing two? One also for the top/screen side also? Although the screen is thinner...
Or fixing the softshell on a leather flip case?

Edited by EL Duderachi
  • Thanks 1
On 11/21/2019 at 10:21 PM, EL Duderachi said:

Hello EskeRahn, many thanks for all the testwork you have been doing on the cases.

You talked about the "Huawei P20 Pro" soft shell being a good option.
This would only protect the bottom half of the device though,  and not the screen?
Or are you proposing two? One also for the top/screen side also? Although the screen is thinner...
Or fixing the softshell on a leather flip case?

I have ordered but are still awaiting some flip cases for P20 Pro. You can find info on flip case for Note7 earlier in the thread.

I just modified this with a few holes, to expose the notification-led and call speaker

139296489_IMG_20191123_175931_HDR01.thumb.jpg.bc72dd62774daeff22a4d8c3aeb650e4.jpg

..quite sloppy, sorry. Function over aesthetics...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Keyahnig said:

I might get a 3D printer soon. Then I could try to design and print a case by myself

Nice!. I think it could be difficult to make a hard shell with a good grip, due to the slightly conic shape, and very very little space for it to grip on the top, without affecting the slider.

The best fit I found (yet) is an elastic shell for "Huawei P20 Pro", but "Samsung Note7" is also quite close, (of course with the need for modified cut-outs). See links earlier.
You might buy one or more of those (they are cheap from about £1-2) to measure and experiment with.

One thing that ought to be changed for a better fit is to shape it handling that the base of the Pro1 is slightly curved towards all four edges.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I dropped mine on day 2, slid out of my hand while taking a call.  Fortunately only a short distance to a table, but still a moment of heart-stopping horror I could do without during the 2-3 week wait for some Huawei P20 Pro cases to arrive.  

To anyone else with this problem - I've added some Dragon Grips; no more slipping.  Might even try to make Sugru corner bumpers eventually.

I wish they could have sorted out the 2-piece case issues, or released the specs to 3D print.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
6 hours ago, cathstoll said:

I dropped mine on day 2, slid out of my hand while taking a call.  Fortunately only a short distance to a table, but still a moment of heart-stopping horror I could do without during the 2-3 week wait for some Huawei P20 Pro cases to arrive.  

To anyone else with this problem - I've added some Dragon Grips; no more slipping.  Might even try to make Sugru corner bumpers eventually.

I wish they could have sorted out the 2-piece case issues, or released the specs to 3D print.  

Go find a Samsung Note 7 case, it is not much worse than the P20 pro, see this, And I bet you can find it cheap and with shorter delivery than weeks, so you can use it intermediate.

It is almost impossible to imagine how a two piece case would work. So If you want full protection a flip case is the least bad option, and can be made by (almost) anyone from existing Note7 case in minutes. I have used one for the last weeks, and it works just fine

Yes I do not understand why they have not released the exterior design in some way. Much better than someone having to scan the device with a 3D scanner.

Like the idea with the dragon grip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?