On the pre-production status

1 minute ago, vlycop said:

You are talking to people who have an old nokia phone

Well i do know, i am still using nokia E7 which is around 10 years old.

but i cab drag myself to use it but it cant do most of the tasks now.

for example all my bank apps require to have latest os with latest updates and security and hence it wont work on E7

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, kashif said:

How can it last for decades?!

even if we assume we keep it in a glass case and never drop of damage it, even then in todays world the technology for both hardware and software/os changes so rapidly that after 3 to 4 years it will be an obsolete technology and wont keep up with all the new tech.

Unless you use it with Sailfish. it is far less demanding in terms of performance, partly because it is not cluttered with feature updates eating more CPU at each version, and most of all there is no hardware limitation past a certain version. Of course there are drawbacks, and SFOS on the Pro¹ won't even be official. But it is worth mentioning that the short-term obsolescence is mostly a software issue with today's hardware, since we already reached somewhat of a plateau a few years ago.

Most flagships now put forward new gadgets or marketing gimmicks instead of performance leaps. Since the Pro¹ already has plenty of RAM and storage, I can see it lasting quite some time if running Sailfish.

Edited by matf
  • Like 3
6 minutes ago, kashif said:

How can it last for decades?!

even if we assume we keep it in a glass case and never drop of damage it, even then in todays world the technology for both hardware and software/os changes so rapidly that after 3 to 4 years it will be an obsolete technology and wont keep up with all the new tech.

I'm still rocking N900 xP However I can't use any of the latest apps, can't properly surf the web, but the phone still works for it's intended purpose even though it's all plastic.

• Like 2

Anyway guys i think if we talk about dropping it then we have to face the consequences.

we may be lucky as EskeRayn and no damage doe or it may be a bad day and it will break into 500 pieces.

the only solution to this is to have multiple of these phones. like i am going to buy at least 5 pro1 devices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Plastic actually makes phones more resistant to drops thanks to better shock absorption than metal. On the N900, the plastic is kind of soft, with detachable parts, a brick form factor, bezels, and a soft resistive screen. All this probably made it a very decent stunt phone; I have not seen many pictures of N900 heavily damaged after drops.

I expect the Pro¹ to be a lot less drop resistant with his harder body, much larger screen area, and curved glass with no bezels. Not planning on trying.

• Like 2

All this detail debate, & apart from @EskeRahn (perhaps 1,2 @ preview?) we've never had a pro1 in our hands?! All speculation.  I'm waiting to get my order, then I'll decide on the best solution for phone protection...

• Like 1

Until a year ago, I was still using my Photon Q (2012), before then it was the Droid 4, Droid 2 and Droid 1. All those phones died after a while so currently I'm stuck with a Motorola G3 with an on-screen computer keyboard (Clavis Keyboard) which at least has the same key layout as computer keyboards do.

So I can entirely understand that people will use this device for years, even decades. If there won't be other keyboard phones, I'll probably use this device until 2030.

Also, I don't understand how people are cancelling their orders because their current phone have a slightly better cpu. You knew months ago that it was going to be the Snapdragon 835 and I highly doubt that you will actually notice a difference to a 855 in daily use.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, kashif said:

Hey EskeRahn for how much will you sell me this test unit of pro1? $700? 🙂

Ha ha. Well append at least a zero... But seriously I would not sell it without permission, though I have not signed anything, I feel like it have been entrusted to me to use and test.

But once it is widely available, I could be willing to sell it if any collector has some special interest in having a rare early unit.

Just now, EskeRahn said:

Ha ha. Well append at least a zero... But seriously I would not sell it without permission, though I have not signed anything, I feel like it have been entrusted to me to use and test.

But once it is widely available, I could be willing to sell it if any collector has some special interest in having a rare early unit.

sure i know, but i was kidding

but on serious note i will surely buy it from you if you have the right to sell.

1 hour ago, npatel1050 said:

If the device is popular enough, manufacturers will make cases.

In the meantime, be careful or buy insurance.

Still would like a shirt if possible

I would swap the posh box, the announced sleeve and earphones for wrapping the phone in a T-shirt for shipping protection, and they could send it in a plastic bag...

• Haha 7
1 hour ago, ichbinsinaction said:

Until a year ago, I was still using my Photon Q (2012), before then it was the Droid 4, Droid 2 and Droid 1. All those phones died after a while so currently I'm stuck with a Motorola G3 with an on-screen computer keyboard (Clavis Keyboard) which at least has the same key layout as computer keyboards do.

So I can entirely understand that people will use this device for years, even decades. If there won't be other keyboard phones, I'll probably use this device until 2030.

Also, I don't understand how people are cancelling their orders because their current phone have a slightly better cpu. You knew months ago that it was going to be the Snapdragon 835 and I highly doubt that you will actually notice a difference to a 855 in daily use.

I loved my Photon Q! I had two that died. Hopefully the Pro1 will last longer....when it does eventually arrive. 

• Like 2

guys, can we move the convo to another thread (@EskeRahn, could you split the topics maybe)?

that's not a production status discussion any more, for those of us who monitor this thread for updates.

Sorry to be naggy🙂

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, is said:

guys, can we move the convo to another thread (@EskeRahn, could you split the topics maybe)?

that's not a production status discussion any more, for those of us who monitor this thread for updates.

Sorry to be naggy🙂

I agree

I don't like the idea of the "protection" is only a sleeve.
I hate sleeves as they are very far from practical use of every day life.

Also, they said other type of case.

This way the phone will not have any protection at all when you use it. :S

On my N900, I have used a full-body protection, at least that would be necessary to keep the phone in good condition.

Also, the addition of having shared SIM2 / microSD slots and the lack of back protection altogether make me very, very sad.
This way there is no space to even try to use two SIMs and uSD cards together without destruct one of the SIMs.

Argh!

I would like to have an option for a proper case very soon, please find a solution for that - instead of a sleeve.
I would buy it if its price (including shipping) will not be in mountain's height, so I am not saying to change the sleeve to something else, but to have an option to buy it very soon.
Very soon because I would like to USE the device and that way it will look rude very shortly.

Please find a solution.

• Like 1

I doubt I would have used the case and probably won't use the sleeve.  My front left jeans pocket is my sleeve (is that a Pro 1 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me 😉). Going back to my Palm PDAs, I have never used screen protectors and only used cases when a phone was crazy slick. That was my Nexus 6p, where I used a bumper only until it's battery got sketchy and then I used a battery case, and my interim phone, a Moto G6, has a thin TPU case as it can barely be held without one.  I hate cases and I don't think the Pro 1 will be slick.  I think a bumper that wraps the base but doesn't interfere with the hinge would be great for adding grip.  I might or might not use that.

I also don't see why the Pro 1 won't last for years.  My Samsung Tab S is 5 years old or so and running fine on LineageOS based on Android 7 with Lineage still providing security patches.

• Like 3

The more I think about it, the more frustrated I am by the sudden change of case to sleeve. It's annoying because unless this phone really takes off, there will be nowhere to get a case that fits! 

As has been said about many of the steps along the way: it wouldn't have taken much to communicate this in a more reassuring way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, is said:

Sorry to be naggy🙂

Yeah it has become a mess, but not that easy to filter out, as much of it is related reactions to the delays (and now changed delivered product)

I can not see a clear cut on how to divide it.

We COULD ask Erik to make a new thread locked for comments with FxTec information only, and then keep this thread as a more discussion like thread with all the derived comments/reactions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yeah it has become a mess, but not that easy to filter out, as much of it is related reactions to the delays (and now changed delivered product)

I can not see a clear cut on how to divide it.

We COULD ask Erik to make a new thread locked for comments with FxTec information only, and then keep this thread as a more discussion like thread with all the derived comments/reactions.

That had actually been my intention when I made the suggestion to create this thread in the first place-- I wanted a thread where, if we were wondering what F(X) Tec had said in an update, we could quickly look it up.  🙂

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • EskeRahn pinned and featured this topic
  • EskeRahn unpinned and unfeatured this topic