Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm not sure who you were replying. The Dux ducis is plastic. See their own page

Yeah it's not "real" leather.

z5KA9Ob.jpg

By the way it seems putting some weights on it will work in the long run to keep the shape. Compared to yesterday there was already a big improvement.

onSUAna.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

On 6/5/2020 at 9:53 AM, EskeRahn said:

I'm not sure who you were replying. The Dux ducis is plastic. See their own page

ah sorry about that missed quote. I see that link though the options in the US from what I found are first not this item but all listing leather. If i can find a way to get in the US i think i might get it. Though my phone is in london at the moment getting fixed. Wonder if I could ask fxtec to throw one in on the way back. Course I would pay for it.

I bought a nice magnetic case that seemed very sturdy, but it ended up not being usable, since the phone holder is rigid (and it would need like 1 or 2 extra millimeters). I also had a rather rubbery phone holder for a flip case that was not sturdy enough for my tastes. I tinkered a "best of both worlds" version:IMG_20200610_190713.jpg

I used some strong glue to get the magnet attached, so that it's not just held by tape.

IMG_20200610_193049.jpg

Some laundry clips straight out of the garden.

IMG_20200610_194551.jpg

IMG_20200610_194557.jpg

IMG_20200610_194702.jpg

By pure coincidence, my mom actually brought prawns for dinner while I was working on the cover, so I knew I had to take a picture. Also had to explain and translate the inside joke.

IMG_20200610_195243.jpgIMG_20200610_195325.jpgIMG_20200610_195341.jpgIMG_20200610_195354.jpg

There's not enough feedback on that button, I don't like it. The fingerprint reader is hidden, but that is on purpose.

IMG_20200610_195401.jpg

It ends up working as well as I hoped. I still need to make a hole for the notification led.

Edited by Raksura
  • Like 3

Could we have some community wiki about the protective cases? I know about the blogpost by @EskeRahn, but I saw that others recommended some other cases... and I don't think I have the time to get through 34 pages of the thread 🙂

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, marmistrz said:

Could we have some community wiki about the protective cases? I know about the blogpost by @EskeRahn, but I saw that others recommended some other cases... and I don't think I have the time to get through 34 pages of the thread 🙂

Great idea. We could definitely use a community wiki, in general.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 4:52 PM, illie-vanilli said:

The ebay version is no longer available, but I noticed this is also available on the wish app (and perhaps therfore also on Ali Express, but can't check that yet). 

Pictures are very similar to these and colorscheme is the same. Going to order one to see how the quality turns out, but if someone else want to check it out, it's described on Wish as follows (see attached picture) 

(just noticed part of the description is missing, but it's also available for the huawei p20 pro) 

Screenshot_20200413-164838.png

Okay so this took 3 months to finally arrive 😅, but now that it is here and since I don't think ahunter shared photo's yet, here are a couple of pictures I made.

Adjustments are fairly easy, I just used a sharp nail scissors to both pierce and trim holes. I didn't make holes for the volume buttons, because the outer-'buttons' on the side can be used for those (power is volume down, volume down is up). I did have to cut holes for the following entrances:

• charger entrance (this one I just 'connected' to the two holes that were already present there, gave a cleaner result really)
  • fingerprintreader (ended up cutting off the side, see picture, it made using that easier)
  • power button
  • 3,5mm jack-entrance
  • made the existing hole for the speaker on the top a little larger
  • A tiny hole next to the back-camera for the mic there
  • if you use the shutter button a hole is needed for that, but I left it like it is since my current camera-app doesn't respond to the button

Taking photo's works perfectly, the flash is only a problem when the phone is in the wallet (but I think that is pretty common). I demonstrated that with taking pictures of the scissors.
Sound is working very well, no difference in or out of the case. I cut a tiny hole for the back-mic, and it appears to be working as well. 

The magnet is actually more sturdy than I expected. I made some videos of the usage of it but I don't think it is possible to upload them to the forums. If anyone has a tip as to share those videos I'm more than happy to. All in all a pretty decent case, especially regarding the price I am very happy with it. You can use it both in and outside the wallet fine. 

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-09 at 20.08.16 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-09 at 20.08.16 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-09 at 20.08.16 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-09 at 20.08.16.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-09 at 20.16.47.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-09 at 20.16.54.jpeg

• Like 1

I am using a PURO 1-in-2 magnet flip case for Huawei P30 Pro with my Pro1. See the pictures below.

I am not using the separate hard case so the Pro1 is attached to leather flip case with double sided tape. Also, a small magnet is added under the leather where you normally place a credit card so flip case can be used with Fx Service. I think that the end result is pretty neat. Later on, I might try to create a magnet hard case that can by used with my flip case. However, I am not sure if the thickness is enough for separate hard case.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Also, a small magnet is added under the leather where you normally place a credit card so flip case can be used with Fx Service.

Note that your image indicates you placed the magnet a bit away from the sensor, so if if you experience  problems, you might want to try to move it a bit.
See the image I added here

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Note that your image indicates you placed the magnet a bit away from the sensor, so if if you experience  problems, you might want to try to move it a bit.
See the image I added here

I am aware of that but so far everything is working great. I will move it a bit if I face issues.

PS. Actually, the case is not made by me. It was made by previous owner of this Pro1.

• Like 2

I guess I was lucky with my case.

It was a freebie off Wish.com, (can't post a link, sorry), took about 2 months to arrive, but the phone fits perfectly and the cover closes completely. Just used a hole punch to make holes where they were needed and "voilà". The shutter button isn't very accessible, I don't use it anyway. There's 2 blisters near the volume buttons, but these are for the Huawei P20 so don't line up with the Pro1 controls, but with a bit of groping about along there the volume buttons do work. I've softened the PU of the magnetic clasp so when the  case is open it falls down behind the case rather then falling down in front of the screen.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Since our phones are on the way I took the liberty of unpacking the Snakehive wallets as suggested (by Slion) in this topic. Pffff those bumpers are a real piece of 💩. First of all, the phone doesn't fit very well. Apart from that, it's the lowest quality silicone I have ever dealt with. I started modding all the current and required holes with a Dremel. These bumpers have some flex! It took me hours to mod them. But, I still don't trust them. The phones come out to easily. So, I've ordered the Ebay bumper noted earlier by EskeRahn, which I also purchased previously.

For the time being I will use double sided tape to make sure the phones stay in the current-Snakehive bumper. But as soon as the Ebay bumpers are delivered, I'm swapping them. I've dropped my Pro1 multiple times. That Ebay bumper has kept the phone inside. And the BSE screen protector has done it's job very well so far. So the Snakehive+Ebay bumper and maybe an BSE screen protector should be a very good combination.

Edited by DieBruine
  • Like 1

Half a year ago (Feb. 2.) I ordered some full body P20 Pro cases that despite the Corona mess arrived Friday!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254225379991?var=553618778779

The bottom half is of no use to us, but the top half fits the screen half of the Pro1 almost PERFECTLY, so can be used with any of the usual cases on the lower half.
The combo is not a perfect fit, as it does not close completely, but gives a VERY good protection, and SUPER easy to open, at the cost of the edge-usage as some disables anyway....

2109717637_IMG_20200804_12192101.thumb.jpg.aea14c7b7e96c5dba5a4a38b5b98fa90.jpg

1800313148_IMG_20200804_12194901.thumb.jpg.20219088187c30c67622bbd81e9b2bce.jpg

1478067988_IMG_20200804_12201801.thumb.jpg.1444e1b799e75efc088590fd0f868169.jpg

Simply lifting in the top half opens the device by pure gravity.

Or held in the bottom half, only a slight push is enough to open it, and the material dampens the sound

18 hours ago, DieBruine said:

Snakehive wallets as suggested (by Slion) in this topic. Pffff those bumpers are a real piece of 💩. First of all, the phone doesn't fit very well. Apart from that, it's the lowest quality silicone I have ever dealt with.

Which one did you get P20 Pro or P30 Pro? Regardless, the TPU case from Snakehive is really poor quality indeed. I've since replaced mines with that one using that glue. Even on high quality TPU case making a cutout for the camera button can compromise stability so you may want to give up on your camera button.

Edited by Slion
29 minutes ago, Slion said:

These two:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/254181243108

And yes the P20 Pro versions. The first one is pretty thick. The second one feels thinner but also cheaper. Nonetheless, it (2nd) will fit the Snakehive and suit it well I think. I'll probably just drill a small hole in the back for the NC-mic on the back. And afterwards maybe use some epoxy or something alike to protect the hole. I'm certainly not going to sow that small hole as Snakehive has done 😅. I am still using the second one (Ebay/right on in the picture below) because overall it's thinner. I think it is 0.6~0.8mm thinner. And I personally do not use a wallet. Wife and kids...

IMG_20200804_143728.jpg

Edited by DieBruine

Just thought I'd resurrect my solution for all the newcomers.  I hate cases and, going back to my Palm PDAs, have never used cases.  However, the back of the Pro1 is pretty slick.  So I put a black matte textured skin on and it gives it just enough grip that I never drop the phone in the first place (haha famous last words.  😄 ) The skin is very snug and months later shows no wear or coming loose at the edges.  Perfect solution for me, YMMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, DieBruine said:

Yeah, well with less than 2000 devices out there, we won't get any cases soon. Which is pretty strange since I'm pretty sure the factory should have some shells they could hand-off to the any of the manufacturers within a square mile...

Actually they DID plan a shell, and even had prototypes shown in here. But the result was not exactly good looking,

And let us be honest. None of the DIY designs could give a slick result, even if made for a perfect fit. They all look more or less bad, and certainly in no ways as slick as the Pro1 by it self. Sure some of the flip cases looks OK closed, but that is hiding the phone, not a slick result while using the phone.

• phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?