Pro1 Known Bugs [Updated 19 Nov 2019]

Version: QX1000_EEA_20200106110245_2020 0106-1105

- No bluetooth audio with Sony WH-1000XM3 with "HD-audio: Qualcomm aptX HD audio" enabled. Disabling aptx does work however

- Changing brightness does seem to mess with the colours. I'm guessing the amoled colours don't scale linearly and each invidiual colour's brightness has to be mapped.
I have access to a colorimeter. Is there a way to test/calibrate the colours/brightness?

• Like 3
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As users will start receiving devices now, we want to give some update about the bugs and features we found / currently working. Shipping software version: QX1000_EEA_20191028191835 Known bu

In theory, after Jan 3rd update there should be no more issues with screen frozen and keyboard lost. We are working on the current issues and hopefully to deliver a build not too long after the C

I'm going to do a mini data dump of some issues I have noticed while bringing up LineageOS (a beta/test version is only a couple days away, I will post a thread here when it's ready)....   *

Posted Images

Looks like keyboard backlight stays off when unlocking open phone.
I guess it would make sense to have a few more settings options like a backlight time out and turn on the backlight whenever you start typing or unlock the phone.

• Thanks 2

For some reason my Pro1 shut itself down 3 times in a row today.
I was out shopping and glanced at my phone to see the time. When I pressed the power button I was asked for the boot-up unlock code. After that the phone booted OK.
Within half an hour the same thing happened another 2 times.

Any Ideas?

9 minutes ago, MickH said:

I was out shopping and glanced at my phone to see the time. When I pressed the power button I was asked for the boot-up unlock code. After that the phone booted OK.

Any Ideas?

Uh that sounds bad. I think that is what was reported yesterday here

• Thanks 2
On 12/21/2019 at 11:10 AM, Gon009 said:

Sorry for double-post but I want to post two more bugs:

<..>

• Brightness settings causes major color distortions, making images look bad which amplified by the fact that pixels turn off in AMOLED displays, I've never had anything like that in my old AMOLED phone: here are more about it: 
  • <..>
  • Also, the brightness changed a lot between 50% and 100% and colors there are OK, however between 0% and 50% brightness barely changes and it introduces color distortions.

Have the same, looks awful.

Is it software issue, or we just have bad AMOLED?

DSC08488R.jpg

Edited by ncvb
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, ncvb said:

Have the same, looks awful

I've been following these reports rather anxiously because this could be a dealbreaker for me. I use my phones mostly with a substantially dimmed-down screen, and if that would cause parts of the image to disappear, the phone might actually become unusable for me. (The same would be true if the speaker volume for phone calls could not be reduced below a level that leaves my phone contact audible for my surroundings, but I've seen this complaint only once so far and I still hope it's only that single device, not a general problem of the model?)

Unfortunately, your comparison image doesn't seem to show any major difference for me, other than that the Pro¹'s display looks a bit cooler and that of the Priv a bit warmer?

As @EskeRahn, I also prefer a warmer tone over a colder one, which is why I use a "night mode" app (Night Mode by Ascendik); as it also has the option to change the image contrast, I wonder if that might help ameliorate the problems which have been reported here?

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 2:36 PM, EskeRahn said:
On 1/23/2020 at 2:32 PM, _DW_ said:

be funny if they wired them the wrong way round....

It seems they did.... Just tested in Android. YouTube search "Stereo Test". Headphones are OK though.

Hope they can swap them it in a software-driver...

And hopefully in a way that doesn't swap the channels in the headphones instead 😉 

• Thanks 1
On 1/24/2020 at 5:06 AM, david said:

- Multiple people have reported that the phone doesn't come with a built-in Recovery

- Can't boot into a custom recovery with fastboot, without flashing, by using: fastboot boot boot.img

- Instructions for how to remove encryption so that TWRP and ADB can read the /data partition

Recent Android build has removed recovery partition you have to flash TWRP into boot for using it. It's Android thing.

• Thanks 5
15 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

<...>

Unfortunately, your comparison image doesn't seem to show any major difference for me, other than that the Pro¹'s display looks a bit cooler and that of the Priv a bit warmer?

<..>

As for me, if you set brightness of pro1 lesser than 50%, black colour on pro1 screen turns to dark green, while priv maintains real black whatever brightness is set.

Can it be fixed by software update or there is application which can fix that?

On 1/24/2020 at 8:04 PM, MickH said:

Any Ideas?

Are you using it dual sim?

Does it happened in low reception/coverage area?

Do you got some of Google Apps disabled?

Do you got some app that frequently checks location?

---

Those are just guesses..

On 1/23/2020 at 9:06 PM, david said:

Can't boot into a custom recovery with fastboot, without flashing, by using: fastboot boot boot.img

True @waxberry about recovery partition on A/B devices, but even on other A/B devices, that (quoted) works, why not on Pro¹?

(I still wouldn't call this a bug tho, just lack of a feature).

Edited by Craig
13 minutes ago, Craig said:

(I still wouldn't call this a bug tho, just lack of a feature).

Agreed, on the not being able to boot off an externally patched boot image (patched with TWRP, @Waxberry).  Some phones allow it and some don't.  I just figured fxtec would, since they are about open access to everything and allowing users to control their own devices.  Allowing this doesn't even change anything on the device, so it is a safe option to allow, in theory.

Being able to remove the encryption is technically a lacking feature, not a bug, too.  But the same as the above, it would be nice to have that option built in, or have formal documentation on how to do it otherwise.

I haven't seen any phones that don't have a Recovery period, though.

13 minutes ago, Craig said:

True @waxberry about recovery partition on A/B devices, but even on other A/B devices, that (quoted) works, why not on Pro¹

Yes, to be clear, I'm not saying that we should be able to flash a recovery through fastboot. I'm saying we should be able to boot off an external file, where that file contains the Pro1 boot.img that has been patched with TWRP.  This is an easy way to temporarily gain access to functionality needed, yet not make any changes to the internal flash memory.

Edited by david
5 hours ago, ncvb said:

As for me, if you set brightness of pro1 lesser than 50%, black colour on pro1 screen turns to dark green, while priv maintains real black whatever brightness is set.

Can it be fixed by software update or there is application which can fix that?

No one seems to really have a clue yet. I hope software can fix it, even though @divstar's comment saying his new replacement screen seems to display contrasts better feeds the suspicion that it could be the hardware. There still might be a way to adjust things through software, which, if there is any, probably would have to be done by the manufacturer, as proper color/contrast calibration of Android devices has never really been open to the end user to the best of my knowledge.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:04 PM, MickH said:

Any Ideas?

Chen is aware of the problem, the team is investigating.

• Like 1

has the phone reception been horrible for you too?

when I hold the phone the signal drops to 1/2 bars and the wifi instantaneously looses connectivity.

when i'm in my car the phone periodically looses signal completely, probabily due to cell rellover, but it hasn't been an issue with any of my previous phones.

@Waxberry is this a problem with my particular unit, or it's due to bad antennae position/engineering or a sofware issue not setting the gain correctly?

30 minutes ago, alexmarzulli said:

has the phone reception been horrible for you too?

when I hold the phone the signal drops to 1/2 bars and the wifi instantaneously looses connectivity.

when i'm in my car the phone periodically looses signal completely, probabily due to cell rellover, but it hasn't been an issue with any of my previous phones.

@Waxberry is this a problem with my particular unit, or it's due to bad antennae position/engineering or a sofware issue not setting the gain correctly?

I think it would be good to provide your location / provider details as it may highly depend on the frequency range or potential frequency ranges depending on where you are and what you use.

For me, I have not noticed any issues with phone signals compared to my previous phone.
WiFi signal is a bit weaker anyway but it is still good I think.

1 minute ago, VaZso said:

I think it would be good to provide your location / provider details as it may highly depend on the frequency range or potential frequency ranges depending on where you are and what you use.

For me, I have not noticed any issues with phone signals compared to my previous phone.
WiFi signal is a bit weaker anyway but it is still good I think.

i'm in Italy and using an Iliad sim right now.

the nearest base station is about 50m from my home and my wifi access point right in front of me, holding the phone in landscape, this is what the recepion looks like.

Screenshot_20200126-143942.png

• Sad 1

@alexmarzulli

Phone signal and service is tricky to report as a bug because there are so many variables, as you can see from the following thread:

I'm in the US and so am useless to give advice. There are a lot of US posts in this thread because US network operators are terrible at accommodating  strange new phones they don't know, but there might still be things to look at.  I know that by default on the Pro 1 VoLTE is not provisioned, so if your service is dependent on that you may need to flip those switches using *#*#4636#*#*

With all the new phones getting out to people in many different places now, it might be good to revive discussions in the above thread to see if others can help.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, alexmarzulli said:

the nearest base station is about 50m from my home and my wifi access point right in front of me, holding the phone in landscape, this is what the recepion looks like

Neither mobile network nor wifi strengths look like what I'd expect, considering your circumstances. Drastic changes in signal strength just by taking up the phone into your hands aren't normal, either, to the best of my knowledge and experience, at least not in such a close proximity to the signal sources. Not having my own Pro¹ yet, this looks to me like there's something wrong with your specific device anyway. 

• Like 1

I'm getting the strong impression that at least some keys need to be pressed rather hard to get registered; the top offenders being the spacebar and the e. Anyone else with similar issues? The spacebar issue is something I remember from the N900 as well because of the way the spacebar is laid out over several key positions underneath, but it's a pity the problem returened here.

Also: the side of the screen without the support beam behind it (right side landscape) tends to wobble while typing, creating a sound by ticking against the main body. Not a dealbreaker, but it's kind of annoying as it is also noticable when using the touchscreen at that position.

10 minutes ago, michael.bosscha said:

I'm getting the strong impression that at least some keys need to be pressed rather hard to get registered; the top offenders being the spacebar and the e. Anyone else with similar issues?

I haven't noticed it. Maybe there is some contact issue under your keyboard.
Maybe try to press it several times to see if it changes by using it... I hope keyboard pads are made of something like a special "gold" plating but maybe it has some residue under the keyboard which keypresses may worn so contact may be better then...

12 minutes ago, michael.bosscha said:

Also: the side of the screen without the support beam behind it (right side landscape) tends to wobble while typing, creating a sound by ticking against the main body.

It behaves similarly on mine but I didn't find it as a problem...

Received the phone a few hours ago so these are very early impressions:

- In call volume is very loud and cannot be turned down with the slider or volume buttons. Hoping for a fix soon.

- Love the keyboard but despite my not so small hands I find it quite wide. A split design with each half of the keyboard under easy thumb reach when holding the phone between your palms would be more comfortable and make typing faster. My now ancient HTC Wizard back in 2005 was a lot shorter and therefor didn't have this issue and I loved it for its fast typing.

- Signal (messenger app by Open Whisper Systems) complains about missing Google Play services and falls back to a web socket connection. It works but this is probably bad for battery life. The app shows a persistent notification about it (which I can hide but I'll leave it there for now). Other apps such as Whatsapp don't complain but they might have the same issue.

- System updater tries to connect to 0.0.0.0 when checking for OTA updates. This is obviously not going to work. Also couldn't find system updates here yet. I won't be messing around with custom roms anymore because I simply don't have the time tbh..

- The sim card tray is slightly longer than the one in my Moto Z Play yet it holds less cards. My Moto is dual sim and able to use both sim cards and an SD card. The SD card sits behind the sim cards with its contacts sticking out just enough making all 3 cards connect yet still taking up less space than the 2 cards in the Pro1. I don't necesarily need an SD in the Pro1 but wanted to mention this because I don't fully understand this design choice.

- I think the fingerprint reader shoud've been moved up to the other side of the volume buttons to prevent accidental unlocking. The area below the power button is where I tend to grab the device.

- Where's the Android back button on the keyboard??

Edited by roland
  • Thanks 1
  • Erik unpinned this topic