On the pre-production status

I’m not sure how much is EU legislation and how much is country dependant, but in DK you are fairly secured to get your money back for a EU trade gone wrong paid with a credit card. I think it is some mutual insurance scheme between the banks that cover the losses – but do not know the finer details.

IF you use some paying agency like PayPal, you are NOT secured by the banks though, but PayPal got their own buyer protection arrangements.

Which is precisely why it's in FXTec's own best interest to improve their communication style with the community here - after people start asking their credit card company to trigger the "chargeback" procedure, or it's paypal equivalent in case any people here paid that way, it will be too late. There's just steep downhill for FXTec from then on. These chaps are not looking fondly at businesses who look like they're just cheating customers. I've had a couple of cases where something I bought off ebay or some stores in China didn't get delivered, and PayPal settled it with me very quickly with a full refund. What then happened between PayPal and the seller - I honestly couldn't care any less, but the same thing is likely to happen with FXTec should claims like this start to emerge. Not from my own experience, but I know that credit card chargeback is even less seller-friendly.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

Good information.

By the way, as I have noted elsewhere, the "promise" of not asking for money until 2-3 weeks before shipping was clearly stated as being changed in the email newsletter that told us it was time to pay for our pre-orders (we were asked to pay starting 01 AUG for delivery in Mid-September).

Didn't i said earlier that FX team is telling everyone a different story,

They emailed me yesterday and said we know for the fact that shipping will start in mid october.

I dont know how people here are justifying them, its not a matter of small or big company or first time project.

Its about being dishonest. its close to a scam.

I would say this pro1 is not going to be shipped this year! AND I MENTIONED THAT EARLIER. they will keep doing this.

Just be greatful that you didn’t pre-order the Open Pandora back in the day. That was a really painful experience.

That's a fun one to mention (and a bit complicated). It was painful, but after the new project lead took over, things got better. He did fulfill all orders he had taken eventually, but that was one of two companies who took orders and the UK one went bust. The first units shipped May 2010 after they took orders in September 2008... if you think about it, that's shorter than the timespan since I backed the Moto Mod.

The tight-knit community also collected funds to pay for some of the orders of the company that went bust. Not everyone got theirs, I suppose, but most did.

I got mine in 2011 and still have it. Neat little device. Good with the highly optimized software, but the web got too fat for it.

I also have a Pyra pre-order. That project's also on the long end, but I trust them to finish. Over time I also got to know the guy personally and I have no reason not to trust him with the project. You may call me biased now for that, though. I've also had the chance to use several revisions of the Pyra over the years. It's real, if anything.

I have no reason yet to not trust Fx either. But I'm still pretty disappointed in the communication stuff. Though it seems to have gotten better suddenly, as if they got out of some deep sleep, but let's see how long it lasts.

I think you need to bear in mind that Fxtec prototypes are actually out both at tradeshows and being used by a minority of users. At the opposite end of the scale when I kickstarted the Sixense STEM system from a company with a proven track record (at that point) and they never showed anything more than 3D drawings, and the excuses came again and again. I was shocked when I actually got a refund from that.

If Fxtec were trying to scam us, they'd be delaying for more than a couple of weeks (for the very first pre-orders). I'm hoping for a great phone, after all the only keyboard alternatives are Blackberry KEY series, which can't be rooted.

My Priv is dying fast, though, so I am looking forward to a new phone in late October hopefully!

We might as well face facts: many of us most likely will be waiting, for another month ... as of Fx email to me, Today: they still have neither confirmed shipping dates or shipping quantities - so basically, they don't know either when, or how many orders they will be able to fulfil ?

We might as well face facts: many of us most likely will be waiting, for another month … as of Fx email to me, Today: they still have neither confirmed shipping dates or shipping quantities – so basically, they don’t know either when, or how many orders they will be able to fulfil ?

I'm personally not sure why learning that we will have a new slider keyboard phone in another month doesn't warrant a happy face. ;) It sure makes me happy.

I'm not worried about delays. I'm more worried about Fx not being able to take enough orders to make this a viable business venture. I plunked down $1000 to reserve an Elio back in 2014 and still no car, so waiting a few months for a phone is no big deal. I'll just have to put up with my outdated MyTouch 4g for another month or two.

I guess I didn't express where my frustrations really lay, so for that, I am sorry :(

My issue is not so much the wait, as annoying as this is. What frustrates me most is the lack of communication, to the point of looking devious & deceptive. I understand that unforeseen problems happen. But back in July, pre-order customers were given to expect receipt of our Pro1s by the end of the summer (against previous notice that Fx would only seek payment 2-3 weeks prior to shipping). It must be clear by now that Fx were NOWHERE NEAR production when they took pre-order payment. How can they expect us to believe that they honestly thought they could get: 1. pre-production testing; 2. third party certification; 3. physical production in the factory; 4. shipping to distribution centres; 5. sorting & shipping to customers - all completed in the timescale they published?

That's both bad project management and bad customer service, especially keeping valuable pre-order customers in the dark.

So I await with hope & interest to see if the email promised here: https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/achievements-so-far/#post-38222 arrives; and what information we are given....

A video was e-mailed to us! https://vimeo.com/364339691

I have transcribed it for those who can't see the video or prefer text:

Hi, it's Adrian, one of the co-founders of F(x)tec. I want to update you on the progress of the Pro1. This is our first launch, and we want to make sure we get it absolutely right. We said we were gonna launch in late summer and Chen and I are extremely disappointed that we haven't done so. But at the same time we are really proud of what our small team has achieved. As new entrant in the smartphone market we are subject to market conditions like all the other manufacturers. Back in August there were some key components that were in demand by other key players, unfortunately this caused some delays. Following this we had a few unexpected software issues which were found by our beta-testers, thank you guys, which delayed us in submitting the regulatory licenses and software licenses.

So, what's the latest? [*clack*, casually opens Pro1] The hardware is ready. We started production last month, and whilst we are currently on a break due to the Chinese national holiday we're ramping up again from the 8th of October. On the software front we've submitted the applications to various regulatory and licensing bodies and we're just waiting for their approval.

We will start shipping to you from the 29th of October. Chen, myself and the team are extremely grateful for your support; to our followers, our pre-order customers and our partners, we wouldn't be here without you guys. Thank you again, we're working to make the best device we possibly can.

I have reviewed our staff replies, and we have not in any form suggested that we’ll start shipping in November. The first batch of the Pro1 will be on it’s way to our earliest orders in mid-October. We expect the majority, if not all pre-orders, to ship by the end of October.

Erik

Adrian seems to think shipping will not even START until Oct 29th : https://vimeo.com/364339691

So having promised you will collect money 2-3 weeks before delivery, you plan to sit on my money for 3 months - and offer *nothing* as a thank you or an apology :( ...And, adding insult to injury, you are now selling to the public at the same price that you gave to your backers.

I still want my 'phone. But guys, you have handled this *really* badly :/

WebFX posted a video update where Adrian Li Mow Ching says they have some submissions that they've made to licensing and regulatory authorities and are waiting for their approval. He also says that they will start shipping on October 29th! No weasel words, nothing, a concrete statement with an exact date! The video is at https://vimeo.com/364339691 for you to watch yourselves.

At last, something definite, from someone that should be 'in the know'. Some acknowledgement of this as a response to the pressure directly by email and from the Forum would have been good, but hey?! And I get that as a small start-up they are to a larger extent than most probably, hostage to a competitive market. None the less, this was quoted as a problem from August - we are now in October - and they are only starting to ship on 29th: Only the very lucky few will take delivery this month. Not what they said only a few days ago. So, come on Fx, make sure to keep us in the loop from now on!!!

...they are only starting to ship on 29th: Only the very lucky few will take delivery this month...

As its so late in the month, unless you happen to live next to the factory I don't expect anyone to get their hands on it this month.

Still, its nice to have an actual date.

Also, I wonder what licensing/regulations they are still waiting on. If they're something USA/EU only they could theoretically ship the phones out to other parts of the world while waiting on the ones for those regions.

Well to me its another disappointment. i know some people want to be positive but its not the matter of positive or negative. its about the facts. by now we all should have it but instead its no where to be seen.

just two days ago Erik said they will start shipping in mid october and all of pre orders will be shipped by end of october. but now they say its not gonna start until 29th october.

so basically they have bought another month now until they announce the next delay.

unfortunately and sadly i am not seeing this device shipped in this year.

Well, I'm happy. This is the first time they have ever given a firm shipping date. The questions some people have are all quite fair enough, such as why, if everything hasn't been resolved, do they have enough confidence to put out a firm date, but for now it's enough for me that they are that confident. Of course something could still go wrong, but I think they have calculated that it would be something unusual if it did given the date the selected.

I really want my phone and every time the possible date (this is the first firm date they have ever provided) gets pushed further out I am disappointed. Not in them. Not even because my good phone died and I am stuck with a cheap meh phone. Life happens-- again, not their fault. I'm disappointed because I am so excited by the Pro 1 and really want to get my hands on one.

• EskeRahn pinned this topic
  • EskeRahn featured this topic
  • EskeRahn pinned and featured this topic
  • EskeRahn unpinned and unfeatured this topic