Jump to content

On the pre-production status


Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Despite my love for the Pro1, I would say that if a Passport suited your wishes and needs, The Titan sounds like it would be perfect for you.

the only problem I have with the Titan is "Android only" (BB10 was very nice to use with the gestures, Sailfish comes a bit close to it) and I fear it will be dropped in terms of security patches quite quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just had to create an account to chime in as a voice of reason here, because there is some seriously toxic entitlement going on in this thread. I, as I'm sure pretty much everyone else who actu

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

Some pages ago during December I requested a refund for preorder, and decided to wait till FxTec could actually deliver. Everything has been processed in a friendly and timely manner :-). What I can a

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Kabbone said:

the only problem I have with the Titan is "Android only" (BB10 was very nice to use with the gestures, Sailfish comes a bit close to it) and I fear it will be dropped in terms of security patches quite quickly.

How open is it? Bootloader unlockable for instance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, silversolver said:

How open is it? Bootloader unlockable for instance?

I'm not sure, but probably yes, at least the other Unihertz were unlockable, but there don't seem to be much custom ROMs and it has a MediaTek SoC. The Titan also still seems to have Security Patch Level from August 2019

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kabbone said:

I'm not sure, but probably yes, at least the other Unihertz were unlockable, but there don't seem to be much custom ROMs and it has a MediaTek SoC. The Titan also still seems to have Security Patch Level from August 2019

MediaTek? Like Ralink? Like they built a phone out of a router chip?¬†ūüėāūüėā¬†That doesn't sound like a formula for long support life LOL!

I haven't liked any recent portrait device. Most recent was my Treo 700p, which I used until 2015 or so. It was held in portrait to work in landscape (albeit 4:3 not 16:9.) However, to each their own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 5:35 PM, Doktor Oswaldo said:

No I do not address, nor attack anyone in here (Or at least don't want to, because I understand the anger). And I do not remember you as vicious personality, so at least for me we are totally fine!
Please do not feel attacked. I just wanted to hint how we could improve asking for more proof.
You must understand, that we hear these things and this tone for months now in this forum and it is not helping.
Please excuse the fact that I have taken you as example, it was just one of many.
 

@cmar In fact I thought about this and should have gone for a post without a quote. It was more like an automatic reaction to hit quote. Please forgive me. I hope you feel not attacked.

I am sorry I have taken your post as an example for my speech.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 9:40 AM, Zamasu said:

I think most people here that are calling people liars, are calling F(x)tec as an entity liars. If anybody in that chain would say something untruthful, and the others would unknowingly propogate that lie, they themselves wouldn't be lying but the entity as a whole would still. This is getting into semantic territory really, there have been statements that were untrue that people doubt were unknown to be untrue. People believe those statements are lies, and you can't really fault them for that since there's no proof that they weren't lies (just as there's also no proof they are lies, but they are beliefs anyway).

Overall, I think the tone might be a bit too harsh, but the tone of some of the people on the other side is just as bad really. Some of the things you pointed out as not being constructive criticism is still totally constructive criticism, it's just a bit harsher in tone but that doesn't make it non-constructive. It would be non-constructive if they didn't offer any way for the other party to improve and just attacked them, but they totally offered a way to improve.

It is true that most likely nobody wants to attack eric directly. But it does feel like it, which is enough. I bet this is no fun for eric.

Harsh critic is never constructive, even though it might have a constructive core. But one could never ever take it constructive.
Either you block it because the tone was off, or you accept it but feel shitty because the asshole is right.
Which will most likely result in a lower involvement. 

They term constructive critic may be technically what you describe but most modern definitions of "constructive criticism" do involve a friendly manner (And to go further constructive criticism is often defined to be on a certain aspect and not on a company or person itself). You can google that if you like.

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hook said:

@Erik From the math, it sounds like Feb 27th is a typo and you meant Jan 27th.  Can you clarify?

Thanks for pointing out before the mass panic :). Corrected to January as it was meant.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

It is true that most likely nobody wants to attack eric directly. But it does feel like it, which is enough. I bet this is no fun for eric.

Harsh critic is never constructive, even though it might have a constructive core. But one could never ever take it constructive.
Either you block it because the tone was off, or you accept it but feel shitty because the asshole is right.
Which will most likely result in a lower involvement. 

They term constructive critic may be technically what you describe but most modern definitions of "constructive criticism" do involve a friendly manner (And to go further constructive criticism is often defined to be on a certain aspect and not on a company or person itself). You can google that if you like.

I completely disagree with all of this. Especially if you're looking at what's on this forum, as that would apparently be so harsh people block it off. Also, yes that is what it technically means, why would you then continue to argue that it means something else?

10 hours ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

You can google that if you like.

Oh yeah, that's real constructive, to act like you're above somebody while not actually teaching anything. ūüĎć

I know how search engines work, I'm not an idiot. Also, look at https://www.dictionary.com/browse/constructive--criticism No mention of the tone, just that it's supposed to be helpful, which it was.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Zamasu said:

I completely disagree with all of this. Especially if you're looking at what's on this forum, as that would apparently be so harsh people block it off. Also, yes that is what it technically means, why would you then continue to argue that it means something else?

Oh yeah, that's real constructive, to act like you're above somebody while not actually teaching anything. ūüĎć

I know how search engines work, I'm not an idiot. Also, look at https://www.dictionary.com/browse/constructive--criticism No mention of the tone, just that it's supposed to be helpful, which it was.

This link does not provide a definition for "constructive--criticism" only for "constructive". Well it does contain: "helping to improve; promoting further development or advancement (opposed to destructive):". So if it is rude and nobody listens to it it is also not constructive by this definition because it does not help.

But that is not the point, I said a lot of definitions:
https://www.definitions.net/definition/CONSTRUCTIVE+CRITICISM
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/constructive-criticism.html
Just the top google results.
(The links do contain what I said, that is why I left them out. You could just google to verify it, this has nothing to do with being unconstructive)

Furthermore the definition of two single words often does not correspond exactly to the way two words together are used. Language evolves and different definitions do exist.
It can even be different between cultures and languages. My post made it pretty clear that for me a constructive tone (yes this is a saying at least here) is part of constructive criticism. So there is no point in attacking the technical definitions anyway, especially since we communicate over different cultures and languages.

But if you do it, please bear in mind that other definitions than your narrow one could exists.

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Doktor Oswaldo @Zamasu Let's chill. This isn't fun for anyone watching people bicker (whether it be you two or anyone else, as many people have). I understand this specific thread has gotten completely off its original goal but I can assure you nobody cares to watch an internet fight go on here. We all want the same result, and many of us are frustrated; were cut from the same cloth here. If you have problems: congratulations, you're not alone. If you want to defend fxtec to the your dying minute, happy to hear it. But either way, stop arguing on something that has no value added one way or another for the community at large.

Just because your voice is heard doesn't mean you're adding value. Now let's move on.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erik said:

 

Do we know yet how the phones will reach US customers?  Will they be shipped directly to individuals from some non-US location or will they be bulk shipped to a US warehouse and individually shipped to customers from there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

This link does not provide a definition for "constructive--criticism" only for "constructive".

I'm sorry, I'm not going to bother with this if you're going to deny that that mentions constructive criticism. Besides, it was merely the first result I got. I'm sorry I didn't do a master's thesis on this merely because you didn't bother to explain what you meant the first time around because you felt yourself above others.

3 minutes ago, rubleaj said:

But either way, stop arguing on something that has no value added one way or another for the community at large.

Sure, it's technically off-topic anyway.

3 minutes ago, rubleaj said:

Just because your voice is heard doesn't mean you're adding value. Now let's move on.

Right, which is why people should be able to post constructive criticism, without being attacked and strawmanned into thinking they shouldn't post. This community just loves to argue with fallacies, and it's terribly annoying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zamasu said:

Right, which is why people should be able to post constructive criticism, without being attacked and strawmanned into thinking they shouldn't post. This community just loves to argue with fallacies, and it's terribly annoying

And "annoying" is what, a constructive argument? If being "annoyed" makes you continue to annoy others, do you really think that will make the situation become less annoying for you? Or do you mean others should shut up, after your utterances of annoyance? 

Just because you repeatedly accuse people of things ("fallacies" is only one of them; I've been on the receiving end of that already, too), that does not make it a correct description of reality. And even if what you wrote contained "constructive criticism" once, any constructivity that might have existed went away in the sheer repetitions, unsubstantiated accusations and obtrusive defenses which followed. Some people just don't know when it's enough. Anyone who doesn't like how things went, how long it took, how Fxtec communicated, deserves respect and understanding. But nothing will be sped up, no-one will be made to improve communications by endlessly exaggerating and repeating the same accusations, not all of which are even substantiated.

Do you even think about what you want to achieve here and what your activity actually does achieve? Do you just want to insist that you "should be able" to vent your anger, on and on and on, or do you want things to improve? 

 

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, david said:

Do we know yet how the phones will reach US customers?  Will they be shipped directly to individuals from some non-US location or will they be bulk shipped to a US warehouse and individually shipped to customers from there?

If the objective is to save on delivery costs (which is reasonable), the best idea is bulk-shipping it past the CBP, then have a local distribution center for individual last-mile delivery to customers. Typically this is where FedEx/UPS comes in as that 'local distribution', in order to get it to you the safest. FedEx/UPS freight has a much easier time making it past CBP as they're vetted well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, aznfantasystar said:

If the objective is to save on delivery costs (which is reasonable), the best idea is bulk-shipping it past the CBP, then have a local distribution center for individual last-mile delivery to customers. Typically this is where FedEx/UPS comes in as that 'local distribution', in order to get it to you the safest. FedEx/UPS freight has a much easier time making it past CBP as they're vetted well. 

I agree, but they have had problems with USA customs when shipping bulk to the USA before.  We don't know if that has been resolved and we don't know which approach they intend to take regardless of whether that has been resolved.  I'm not asking for what the best approach is (stating for clarity, not being  negative).  I'm asking if fxtec has made a decision yet on how they will ship to USA customers, so that we know what to expect.

Edited by david
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 12:46 PM, silversolver said:

I'm still using one as a daily driver and I'm not alone. ūüôā

EDIT: I misread that. My daily driver is a Droid 4. It is 8 years old.¬†I do still have a Droid 1 and used a (different) Droid 1 as a daily driver until 2014 (when it was 6¬†years old) and continued to use another one for non-phone tasks until 2016 (when it was 8 years old.) I still have a Droid 1 serving alarm clock duty right now. It's now 12 years old and still works. Ish. ūüôā

@silversolver Have you done anything ( custom OS ) any other tweaks to keep your Droid 4 passable these few years? ... I gave up on mine a while back as it started to slow down

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, david said:

I'm asking if fxtec has made a decision yet on how they will ship to USA customers, so that we know what to expect.

Maybe all of fxtec should go on a business trip to the US and each member brings a set of phones in their carry-on.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms