Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

1 hour ago, TeZtdevice said:

We have been looking into dbrand for Pro1-X skins

I have personally cut a skin for my Pro1 and generally I think it is a good thing.
However, it will not replace a good case which - in my eyes - is a hard rubber-like thing which can be applied to the phone and used together with it.

That is the hardest part if one would like to solve it by hand.

So I agree, a real case is the most important which can be used together with a skin.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

Hey all, so I want to share what I think could become something that could work for. I decided to get two of these Bone Store universal slim bumper cases for the 4.7 inch to 7 inch phones. Sadly I could only find it on amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RG2GFQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and also using this case https://www.wavewallcases.com/product/wavewall-universal-anti-radiation-phone-case/

but with the two slim cases on, it does not fold as well if I remove the display slim case it closes quite well and slides up for camera use.

Note: Had to cut out the inside sleave of the waveall to have a tighter fold. The wallet apart was too bulky to actually use.

Further note: I still need to cut the holes for the speakers, headphones and fingerprint reader too.

20201107_084406.jpg

20201107_084316.jpg

20201107_084311.jpg

20201107_084303.jpg

20201107_084249.jpg

Edited by mv
  • Like 5
16 hours ago, mv said:

Hey all, so I want to share what I think could become something that could work for. I decided to get two of these Bone Store universal slim bumper cases for the 4.7 inch to 7 inch phones...

Looks interesting. Does the bumper affect things such as using the number row, or making it easier/harder to actually open/close?

On 11/8/2020 at 1:33 AM, lameboyadvance said:

Looks interesting. Does the bumper affect things such as using the number row, or making it easier/harder to actually open/close?

the number row is slightly tighter but a work around is using ones nails there or more toward the nail of your finger.

I think if this were to be produced the display needs to be cut in half to fit more tightly and maybe some adhesive would help.

The bottom part aside from new holes fits almost too snuggly on occasion it has slipped off after extensive use. The overall feel at least around the home with tiled floors makes me feel a little  more comfortable if i were to mistakenly drop it.

EDIT: Adding photos as I did end up cutting the top silicone in half and it fits snug enough that around the house and walks so far it has  worked well. I hope these pictures do it justice, I do think that if FXtec wants to try to design something this could be a working model for a non folding one.20201109_085033.jpg.1eafab53dc6ab1950b76e17fec88c235.jpg

20201109_085126.jpg

20201109_085251.jpg

20201109_085118.jpg

Edited by mv
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Claimmore said:

What wallet cases can you recommend for the Pro 1? Is anyone using one on theirs? What about protection of the screen? Has anyone found a suitable bumper case to be used with a wallet case?

4 hours ago, Claimmore said:

Yeah, I already saw that and read it, I would need a "real wallet case", the Snakehive one is just too small and barely has any pockets/storage. and the problem with that setup is that the screen itself is not protected from sides etc.

I see, yes that's just a book case really, hardly any room to store anything other than credit cards and paper thin items.

Screen is really well protected though, unless it falls preciselly on a blade there is no way for it to get damaged. 

Well if anyone gets a [preferably shell] case designed I'm ready to buy. And a matching holster would be great too. I have 2 more days left on my Droid4 before Verizon shuts down their CDMA network and love the versatility of accessories they provided: screen protector; rubberized textured shell case with integrated kickstand AND a fitting belt holster; windshield/dashboard car dock; desk dock.

It'd be nice if the Pro1 was designed with features to accommodate a case attachment (e.g. notches), I don't get why they didn't do anything for this phone's odd form factor.

• Like 1

Currently using black gorilla tape for the back so I don't feel bad setting my phone down.

Looks like absolute ass to my standards, but putting it out there as it is very easy to stick on, and has stayed on for a few days now.

Probably transparent packing tape could have worked too, dunno why I didn't think of that first. Also would prefer a hard shell but does not seem feasible for the moment.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 6:49 AM, mv said:

the number row is slightly tighter but a work around is using ones nails there or more toward the nail of your finger.

I think if this were to be produced the display needs to be cut in half to fit more tightly and maybe some adhesive would help.

The bottom part aside from new holes fits almost too snuggly on occasion it has slipped off after extensive use. The overall feel at least around the home with tiled floors makes me feel a little  more comfortable if i were to mistakenly drop it.

EDIT: Adding photos as I did end up cutting the top silicone in half and it fits snug enough that around the house and walks so far it has  worked well. I hope these pictures do it justice, I do think that if FXtec wants to try to design something this could be a working model for a non folding one.20201109_085033.jpg.1eafab53dc6ab1950b76e17fec88c235.jpg

20201109_085126.jpg

20201109_085251.jpg

20201109_085118.jpg

How did you make this case? Really Interested in making a DIY one for this device.

On 12/24/2020 at 2:27 PM, MickH said:

Another Pro1 Bumper Case idea that's doing the rounds.
This one is a 3D printer file.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4618945

This looks ideal to me, hopefully the num keys arent too hard to reach. l had a friend print this for me and is shipping it. Will report back with how it is 🙂

Edited by wuwtk1
  • Like 1
On 1/24/2021 at 9:12 PM, RagingSkittlez said:

How did you make this case? Really Interested in making a DIY one for this device.

So this worked for a while but eventually it was too tight to keep so every day it slipped off and got harder to hold in place. If I were to try it again I would probably had a thin layer of double sided tape to keep it in place.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried using a flexible huawei p20 case. It fits the pro1 well but trying to cut holes for the ports with an xacto knife was very messy.

So I ended up using @Hook's method of using a dbrand skin (Black Dragon). However, I would still like to find a way to use thee huawei case.

I'd like to 3d print a stencil with sharp edges that I can press into the silicone to cut through it precisely. I'm wondering if I could get sharp enough edges using a 3d resin printer to cut through silicone. And how would I go about designing such a feature on a stencil?

One idea I had was to print some type of saw teeth on the stencil inside that could cut through the silicone when pressed against it? But I'm worried that it will leave a very jagged cut

Or maybe use two stencils, a negative and a positive and push them into each other to slice out the difference. One side could have sharp spikes positioned to match the shape of the lines I want to cut and the other side could have holes where the spikes go through. Think medieval torture device

a073epj8gyg61.thumb.jpg.ee85ffdf2c0980e5ac7f6052c661cdf3.jpg

On 2/12/2021 at 12:50 AM, DieBruine said:

Instead of cutting I suggest you purchase or borrow a rotary kit like a Dremel.

I have a dremel tool, but my hand's not very steady and the incisions I'm trying to make are very small, so the cuts end up being a little off or messy. That's why I was hoping to find a solution with more precision.

I ended up using an xacto knife cause it allows for more precision since a dremel tool is rather bulky, but it's still not as precise as I'd like.

Actually you know what. Maybe my mistake is trying to hold the dremel tool and move it around. Instead i should get some kind of mounted dremel tool, and then move the silicone around. Cause the dremel is awkwardly heavy to hold and move around.

Edited by lawliett
  • Like 1

You could try a tool to punch holes. I don't know the English word for it. But we have a tool to punch holes in for example a leather belt. You can rotate the head to accommodate different sizes from 3mm up to around 6mm. I use that to punch nice openings and then use the Dremel to do the fine work.
The regular Dremel is indeed an large tool. I too had difficulties mending it. The micro is much smaller and lighter, which helps a lot. But I wouldn't buy one just to mod a single case 😅.

• 4 weeks later...

While an official flip case for the Pro1 would be nice, I do not think that it is strictly necessary.

I bought a random flip case for the Huawei P20 Pro (this one), and it is a perfect fit for the Pro1. I cut the required apertures for USB, headphone jack, power, shutter and volume buttons into the soft shell (not using fingerprint). Done.

20210309_001.jpg

20210309_002.jpg

20210309_004.jpg

20210309_005.jpg

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 5
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?